Do you remember the rag man, and other street traders from the 60's and 70'

In the 60's on the Wybourn estate a rag man on a horse and cart used to come round the streets. My mam used to give me some old clothes and tell me to get some wooden pegs in exchange for these. He also had balloons and cups and saucers to give away. More often than not I got a balloon and no pegs, followed by a clip round the ear for not doing what my mam told me he-he!!!:hihi: What do you remember about the rag man?

In the 60's on the Wybourn estate a rag man on a horse and cart used to come round the streets. My mam used to give me some old clothes and tell me to get some wooden pegs in exchange for these. He also had balloons and cups and saucers to give away. More often than not I got a balloon and no pegs, followed by a clip round the ear for not doing what my mam told me he-he!!!:hihi: What do you remember about the rag man?

I remember not having anything to give him as I was probably wearing the rags lol ! I always wanted one of those birds on sticks that was on a piece of string and when you spun it round it made a noise. Still never got one, don't you feel sorry for me.

I remember not having anything to give him as I was probably wearing the rags lol ! I always wanted one of those birds on sticks that was on a piece of string and when you spun it round it made a noise. Still never got one, don't you feel sorry for me.

Nobody had much as I remember in the 60's but everyone was in the same boat and didnt expect much either! So Im not sure if I feel sorry or not for you:hihi:

Do you remember Fentemans pop man? Also Mary Manfredis ice cream van? Fletchers bread tastes like lead van? Happy days!! :roll:

he was bill foulstone,went all over wybourne arbourthorne etc,his wife was nellie a very good friend of my moms.

I remember fletchers and alpine pop!

The Collins family had all the horse and carts on Attercliffe people hired them and went out "TATTING" THEY HAD 40 HORSES at one time....

I remember fletchers and alpine pop!

I think Alpine pop man came after Fentemans pop. I can remember them coming on a Saturday tea time round the Wybourn. We used to get Castle crisps and a bottle of pop. :hihi: Fletchers bread taste like lead when you eat it you drop dead lol :hihi: Thats what we used to sing when he came down our street, terrible!!

he was bill foulstone,went all over wybourne arbourthorne etc,his wife was nellie a very good friend of my moms.

I went to school with Linda Foulstone, I presume its the same family? He was a nice fella as I remember.

I remember the rag and bone man used to give us a donkey stone.

I think Alpine pop man came after Fentemans pop. I can remember them coming on a Saturday tea time round the Wybourn. We used to get Castle crisps and a bottle of pop. :hihi: Fletchers bread taste like lead when you eat it you drop dead lol :hihi: Thats what we used to sing when he came down our street, terrible!!

That's what we sang on the Manor :hihi: forgot that until you mentioned it. 'Any owd raaigs' was music to my ears when I was a nipper, visions of brightly coloured desirable objects, could never understand how you were able to get sought after things like balloons for a few old rags, seemed a bargain not to be missed!

My Grandad "Curly" Myers used to have a horse and cart and sold vegetables from it round Arbourthorne.

We used to sit on the edge of the curb poking lolly sticks in the warm tar waiting with the empties to take back when the "tizer man" came.

My Grandad "Curly" Myers used to have a horse and cart and sold vegetables from it round Arbourthorne.

We used to sit on the edge of the curb poking lolly sticks in the warm tar waiting with the empties to take back when the "tizer man" came.

We used to do that on our street too:hihi: Some kids I know got tar on themselves and their mam scrubbed them with neat Vim, you could hear them screaming down the street:hihi:but at least they were clean I suppose!!