Upperthorpe Baths - do you have any memories you'd like to share?

First went to Upperthorpe baths around 1950, I then continued to attend the Monday afternoon sessions with Burgoyne Road School until I left school in 1958.

The swimming baths attendent during the 50s was a guy called Herbert.

Mr Price was the teacher who took us through all of our distances 25 yards through to 880 yards.

Mr Price also taught our life saving skills, I took my Intermediate life saving and Bronze Medallion at Upperthorpe and still have the Medallion along with some of my distance certificates in the loft somwhere.

Private lessons at Upperthorpe in the 50s were given by Mr & Mrs Lyons.

Regarding the Slipper baths people must remember that in those days most houses did not have a bathroom so the slipper baths were very popular.

...The swimming baths attendent during the 50s was a guy called Herbert...
Yes - that was Herbert Hissett (1914-1969). He lived nearby on Alwyn Street.

Hi

I had my swimming lessons at the baths from 1976 ish for about 10 years. I remember the water always being warm!!! and the gentle slope in the shallow end. I also remember they held classes for the disabled and remember thinking how brilliant it was.

We used to live just up the road from the baths in an old terraced house with no bath and an outside toilet. My parents bought the house around 1965 for five hundred pounds as it was due for future demolition, and once it was demolished we'd be offered a council house or flat. So for the 2 or 3 years we lived there I'd walk down the hill, fork over a shilling for a shower or bath, which I think also included soap, towel and a back brush!

We did get a nice council flat at the top of Crimicar Lane overlooking the beautiful countryside......what a difference.

The swimming baths were only 20 yards long whereras most others were 25 yards, the first certificate was 25 yards.

Those taking the 25 yards test had to entre the water at the deep end and swim down one side of the baths, turn right and swim across the width at the shallow end to make it 25 yards.

Yes - that was Herbert Hissett (1914-1969). He lived nearby on Alwyn Street.

What a character, if you didn't come out when your time was up he would hold piece of your clothing over the water making out that he would drop it in if you didn't come out (don't mean 'come out' as in you know what).

Thanks for your thoughts guys, it seems as if most of you really enjoyed your time at Upperthorpe baths. If any of you wouldn't mind your names being put on your quotes, and the dates you lived or used facilities in the area that would be great. Please PM me to let me know. There are some lovely quotes, I love the bit about Herbert Hissett holding your clothing over the pool unless you got out of the water! Quality!

Hi Karen,

I remember the baths ... I was at Sheffield University from 1957-62 and a member of the University swimming club, and used to play water polo. At lunch times we either trained speed or distance swimming at Glossop Road baths or came down to Upperthorpe where we were allowed to use a water polo ball, and spent an hour or so churning up the pool!!

I do remember winter or summer the water was always very warm. No photo's I am afraid, but fond memories of the place..

Yours Sincerely,

Bill Lee.

PS, I am Sheffield born and bred, lived all my working life there, but now retired and living in Norfolk.

Great memories here! I went on Friday nights in the mid 60's-our church had a booking from 7.30 to 10.00 Yes, it was a small pool only 20yards long and always very warm. Spit gutters!-that's how you got out of the pool. One hand grasped the edge of the gutter and then you'd sling a leg to the edge of the gutter and push yourself out.

I went to Philadelphia school in the 1950's and we used to walk to the baths for our swimming lessons. We were always given a cup of hot oxo afterwards.

On fridays my dad took me to the slipper baths. I used to hate the wooden slatted things you had to stand on and also the pink stuff they used to smear around the baths to clean them. Only way to get out of the swimming lessons was to say you had a verrucca.

My grandmother moved to a maisonettte in St Phillips Road around 1960 and she had an indoor bathroom, absolute bliss !!!

Lorraine

Went in the late 50's after school someone pushed me in at the deep end.

Never went back,never learnt to swim.

The exact same thing happened to me at the Upperthorpe baths, my sister jumped in and " saved me "

And I still can't swim, it really put me off, that was in the late 50's too.:help:

Wow, that's great, thanks to everyone for their memories.

Did any of you use the old Slipper Baths upstairs, any memories of those?

And any more names of staff, swimming teachers etc?

I don't remember the slipper baths being upstairs, groundfloor more like.

We use to go every Saturday morning like the rest of the kids with no bathrooms. Because it was a busy time of the week the staff would come banging on the doors to hurry you up. Outside there would be a queue right up the side of the baths.

A friend of mine always use to come out with a " mucky face " even though he'd had a bath. He said he never bothered with his face.