Norfolk Park Flats

:huh: I can't place these Norfolk park flats, what were those flats were near the football ground, well down that way, also near Batchelors ?

:huh: I can't place these Norfolk park flats, what were those flats were near the football ground, well down that way, also near Batchelors ?

No, Poppins, the Norfolk park flats were on the hillside going up to the south-ish of the city centre.

There are some high-rise near the United Ground, on the Lansdowne estate, a small development of three blocks of two-bed flats, (Leverton Gardens in Sharrow) that have recently been clad in Battleship Grey. this is what they looked like before the cladding

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29c03354%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUxhbnNkb3duZV9GbGF0cyUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaA==

they were slightly older,(early sixties IIRC) and somewhat better in construction (less modular and box-y feeling) than the Norfolk Park flats.

there was one block, at middlewood, that stood alone, to the same design as these, but one-bedroomed, but these were demolished some years ago. They stood on the far side of the Winn Gardens estate and the Niagara training ground from the Wednesday ground.

On this photo, you can see the Norfolk Park flats snaking their way up the hill above the city centre.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29u01817%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUxhbnNkb3duZV9GbGF0cyUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZwYWdlPTQ=

The three Lansdowne blocks are just out of shot, on this one, at the bottom of the street of old houses you can see by the low rise flats.

(this shot is of the street of terraced houses you can see in the other shot

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29v01685%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUxhbnNkb3duZV9GbGF0cyUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZwYWdlPTU= )

I hope this helps you get an idea of where the blocks of flats stood in relation to each other?

(oh, and this shot:-

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;%28^|%20+%29w01008%28$|%20+%29&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOVdpbm5fQ2xvc2UlMjglMjQlN0MrJTJCJTI5JmFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2g=

is of the block that stood at Winn Gardens. Batchelors factory is sort of just beyond the top right hand corner of the shot.

I USED TO LIVE AT 308 PARK GRANGE MOUNT. I guess it was the East Bank block but I cant remember the name of the block. It was the one at the top. I looked down on Sheffield rather than up. There were pigeons on my balcony for ages. One of the baby pigeons

had been attacked by the mother or other baby pigeon and was dying slowly. My friend at the time, Phil Stephens, who lived on St Aidans Mount (dark red block I think) picked up the squab (baby pigeon) and threw it down the rubbish shoot. I was on the tenth floor. It sounds a cruel way to get rid of the pigeon, I didnt have the guts to do it myself.

I lived there circa June 1989 - December 1990. I was there at the time of the hurricane. I was blown over (or rather from underneath) by the wind as I approached the co-op. The wind was really bad but I had to go out for some reason. The next day the fish and chip shop window was completely smashed. I guess by the wind. The building really swayed in the wind and the lights flickered; it was scary as hell.

I remember the colour of the block as being a dirty yellow colour, but I could be wrong.

I won £408 at Braithwaites the bookies after laying about £135.

Steve Butterley lived up the road as did his mother and I believe did his sister(s).

I put 3 people up at my flat. 2 of them did me wrong whilst the other one, Kevin Winfield, stayed for a couple of months; for him it was either my flat or the Salvation Army in the days when the Sally Army had cubicles. Phil and I went into the Jervis Lum a few times.

Seemed OK. There wasnt really any trouble at this time on Norfolk Park; I would walk home late at night sometimes; sometimes after returning from the late night garage which was well over a mile away past Queens Rd on the way to St Marys church (dont know the name of the road). Never had any trouble.

Steve wanted to rig my heating so that I could get free heating. I declined. Im glad I did because Steve rigged his own and couldnt turn it off. Come summer (1990) he opened the door and I was nearly knocked over by the heat emanating from his flat.

Mental.

I, Steve and Phil, had all gotten our flats from Gell St hostel.

I remember the walk up the hill; even for a fit young slim man, I was 24/5, it was a killer.

Mick Taylor, who was a hostel officer at Gell st hostel, had a flat I think in the block behind the Jervis Lum.

One character I put up one night stole my giro the next day and cashed it. This was in the days when you had to wait all day for a replacement giro in the dole office. I was really ****** off. Because it had been cashed I had to give the name of the person to the Police to get a replacement. Considering the circumstances I didnt mind doing that.

After Kevin left my flat (he had stayed there long enough I decided) he just went up and stayed at Steves. It was a time when people who had been in our position would help each other out.

Although this is the first time I have thought about this in 23 years I realise that I miss the flat. Or maybe I just miss my youth.

The people ion my landing were quite old. They were quiet.

Its a shame they knocked down the blocks. Perhaps they should have kept one or two and made them grade 2 listed. Like to see a video of my block being demolished. To see the last moments of where I lived.

I USED TO LIVE AT 308 PARK GRANGE MOUNT. I guess it was the East Bank block but I cant remember the name of the block. It was the one at the top. I looked down on Sheffield rather than up. There were pigeons on my balcony for ages. One of the baby pigeons

had been attacked by the mother or other baby pigeon and was dying slowly. My friend at the time, Phil Stephens, who lived on St Aidans Mount (dark red block I think) picked up the squab (baby pigeon) and threw it down the rubbish shoot. I was on the tenth floor. It sounds a cruel way to get rid of the pigeon, I didnt have the guts to do it myself.

I lived there circa June 1989 - December 1990. I was there at the time of the hurricane. I was blown over (or rather from underneath) by the wind as I approached the co-op. The wind was really bad but I had to go out for some reason. The next day the fish and chip shop window was completely smashed. I guess by the wind. The building really swayed in the wind and the lights flickered; it was scary as hell.

I remember the colour of the block as being a dirty yellow colour, but I could be wrong.

I won £408 at Braithwaites the bookies after laying about £135.

Steve Butterley lived up the road as did his mother and I believe did his sister(s).

I put 3 people up at my flat. 2 of them did me wrong whilst the other one, Kevin Winfield, stayed for a couple of months; for him it was either my flat or the Salvation Army in the days when the Sally Army had cubicles. Phil and I went into the Jervis Lum a few times.

Seemed OK. There wasnt really any trouble at this time on Norfolk Park; I would walk home late at night sometimes; sometimes after returning from the late night garage which was well over a mile away past Queens Rd on the way to St Marys church (dont know the name of the road). Never had any trouble.

Steve wanted to rig my heating so that I could get free heating. I declined. Im glad I did because Steve rigged his own and couldnt turn it off. Come summer (1990) he opened the door and I was nearly knocked over by the heat emanating from his flat.

Mental.

I, Steve and Phil, had all gotten our flats from Gell St hostel.

I remember the walk up the hill; even for a fit young slim man, I was 24/5, it was a killer.

Mick Taylor, who was a hostel officer at Gell st hostel, had a flat I think in the block behind the Jervis Lum.

One character I put up one night stole my giro the next day and cashed it. This was in the days when you had to wait all day for a replacement giro in the dole office. I was really ****** off. Because it had been cashed I had to give the name of the person to the Police to get a replacement. Considering the circumstances I didnt mind doing that.

After Kevin left my flat (he had stayed there long enough I decided) he just went up and stayed at Steves. It was a time when people who had been in our position would help each other out.

Although this is the first time I have thought about this in 23 years I realise that I miss the flat. Or maybe I just miss my youth.

The people ion my landing were quite old. They were quiet.

Its a shame they knocked down the blocks. Perhaps they should have kept one or two and made them grade 2 listed. Like to see a video of my block being demolished. To see the last moments of where I lived.

Cheers for your story Norfolk it contributes to ordinary Sheffield history these stories are the ones that will really count to future generations.

I lived in Spring Block (5th floor) 1980 - 84. My flat looked out over the city centre and that was a beautiful sight at night from the balcony.

I remember the flat suffered badly from condensation and mould. The only heating was a 2 bar electric fire in the living room and underfloor heating. The underfloor heating was ridiculously expensive to run. The bathroom was overrun with silver fish when I moved in and the previous tenant had covered one wall in the living room with 2" thick Artex painted chocolate brown.

Having said all that I really enjoyed the time I lived there- it was my first home having left the family home and incredibly safe. I was working in London for a while and one week I forgot to lock the flat door on the Sunday night, and everything was still there when I got home on the Friday night!

My lasting memory of these flats was going to a party with my ex after a night in the Horse and Lion. And while we were there the host thought it would be great fun to hang his girlfriend over the balcony by her feet. We were about ten floors up. I couldn't get out of there quick enough.

they should never have been built in the first place the whole of norfolks parks tower block's flat's and houses, on parson cross were should never have been built. after the war they were built to improve the social housing shortage, which didn't work the first was park hill, and hyde park later kelvin flats then Norfolk park and that monstrous concrete block of flats at the bottom of the moor never again should we think of buiding blocks of building

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am looking for a paul Johnson who I think lived in this area in 1990. He will be around 50 years old now, give or take a few years. Thanks