Norfolk Park Flats

It should do well as a chippy cant think where there is another round there? The Captive Queen used to have a chippy round the back it was fab. What did they call that pub that borders on the Norfork Park and Manor up Spring Lane, it used to look like a Swiss House and sell Magnet beer in the 70's?

Are you thinking of The Vulcan, which was on Northern Avenue? (northern Avenue being the continuation of Spring Lane)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=The+Vulcan+Northern+Avenue+Sheffield&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=19.196147,39.506836&ie=UTF8&hq=The+Vulcan&hnear=Northern+Ave,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S2,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.363528,-1.440616&spn=0.004264,0.01929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.363528,-1.440616&panoid=ofUKXHnVNGpefOirModOLQ&cbp=11,175.58,,0,13.31

When did they all become coloured because to be honest although we lived there when they were new they all looked the same to me. Or have I just forgotten :confused:

They painted them different colours around the early 80's, but I think towards the end they all ended up looking the same dull grey colour, I was literally born in the grange block, we were on the 9th floor but by the time the lift got there I made a surprise appearance, thats probably where I got my lifts & height phobias from :hihi:

They painted them different colours around the early 80's, but I think towards the end they all ended up looking the same dull grey colour, I was literally born in the grange block, we were on the 9th floor but by the time the lift got there I made a surprise appearance, thats probably where I got my lifts & height phobias from :hihi:

Thanks no wonder I can't remember the colours we left in 1976. We were on the 13th floor in Jervis and it was a pain dragging a pram up there when the lifts broke. I remember the lift once broke with me and a young girl in and she was upset because she had got some fish and chips for her mum and they were going cold. I told her not to worry because if we were a long time we would eat them and I would get her some more:hihi: we were about half and hour as we had to wait for the fire brigade but she wouldn't part with them.

it was a little bit before that, it was mid-to-late seventies.

In 1976(The year with the hot summer) I lived at Guildford View flats , norfolk park on the 15th floor, that was when the flats were a great place to live, our caretaker kept the Lift spotless,the kids used to call him Thumper,because thats what they got if he caught them messing about.

Monday night Discos at the "Captive queen", and Games nights at the "Vulcan" we just went for the free sarnis, and we never saw much trouble,not even in the "Horse and Lion" or "Fellbrigg"

Edited by stevenorfolk

Didn't little Ben Needham live on the flats?

Incidentally Grange was the last of the Norfolk Park Blocks to go. The three Blocks on St Aiden's were the first to come down, long before (about 10 years before) the rest of Norfolk Park.

And weren't they the newer ones? Last up - first down?

And weren't they the newer ones? Last up - first down?

I can't remember which order they were built in.

I seem to think the three which were on Claywood, and the one on Hanover were the very last of that style to be completed in Sheffield. I believe there were subtle differences in that the ones on Claywood had built-in wardrobes in the main bedrooms. My Aunt and uncles' ones on Norfolk Park didn't have built-in Wardrobes, nor did mine on Beldon Road.(The brown block)

silly

Beeches Drive was blue.

Mickley was brown

Cliffe and talbot were sludge brown and mustard

East bank and spring were a pinky orange and a pale blue.

None of them were green

i think i would know i lived in it!!

also I remember that park grange was green the block with the bridge just down from the horse and lion lived on there a bit 4th floor with my sis and her boyfreind {pinny} andrew L?????y

would also say the block on the left looked a mint green also

Norfolk Park Flats

I must have lived in every block as a kid and teen at one point you could walk in to the housing fill out a fast form and be offerd a 1 or 2 bed within days ....