Sign in to follow this  

Why do movie fans hate Mark Kermode so much?

I've often wondered this, he seems to come in for loads of stick from movie buffs. I can't say I find him particularly disagreeable so why the dislike?

Because he mocks George Lucas? Because he's opinionated and shouty? Because he's a God botherer? Because he's fairly ubiquitous of late? Because they're Pirates of The Caribbean fans? Because they don't like his quiff or his big flappy hands? Because there's an 'r' in the month?

Who knows? Some people like Piers Morgan and hate chocolate. It's a strange world.

I don't hate him, but I do think he can be a bit of a pretentious git at times. However his 'instant opinion' vids after previews (where he chats to camera as soon as he comes out) are fabulous - a more honest instant thought about the film, rather than an oh-so-witty snipe review which has been carefully scripted.

I do prefer him over other critics though as he can justify his reasons for liking or disliking something, so even if I don't agree with him, I can at least see where he is coming from (Barry Norman was similar in that I rarely agreed with him, but couldn't really argue against why he disliked something).

From the movie buffs I have known I might suggest perhaps we always disagree most with what we dislike in ourselves :D

(sorry movie buffs)