Wards at jessops!

How do you work that out? :confused:

Dont wanna get up and feed the baby? :hihi: Yeah, if only it was a push of the button and someone else would feed the babys haha!

Exactly, but i was put on one of these wards with my 2nd baby and i could of just gone over to the ward and ragged them all, whenever they wanted their baby feeding they buzzed and the nurse of midwife on that night did it. I was actually on the ward the other end of the corridor and you could hear them.

but like someone says there are seperate wards for each thing, I had a section with my last baby in April and there werent any people on there that had had natural birth

I was supposed to be on Rivelin ward with my 2nd baby, but that was full so i ended up on whirlow ward which was very nice.

it is based on your postcode however if they are full on that ward itsgenerally concorde you end up being put on. and to be honest it does matter because some wards are full of kids having kids which isnt very good because theres screaming babies and buzzers all night as they dont wanna get up and feed the baby so press the buzzer. Harsh to say but Rivelin is a nice ward but concorde was awful. push for a private room if you have to stay in .

Well I have been on concord and Whirlow and both wards are much the same. You can't say that one post code is all kids having kids, that's just untrue, so maybe they were lots of young Mums on the ward when you were in, but teen Mums, 20's, 30's, 40's Mum's we all have the right to the same care postcode being S5 or S10.

there is a ward for women who have had c-sections, an antenatal ward for women either in early labour or being kept in for observation and then regular post natal wards. At busy times you could be admitted to any of them, but as a general rule patients are catagorised in the above way.

Congratulations and good luck Em xxx

Yeah they are supposed to be, when I was in with suspected pre eclampsia with my first I was on a ward with other ladies who were having ante natal problems but this time when I had had my 3rd baby I was on a mixed ward with people having had babies and ante natal problems, basically as I said before you go where there's space when there full.

Exactly, but i was put on one of these wards with my 2nd baby and i could of just gone over to the ward and ragged them all, whenever they wanted their baby feeding they buzzed and the nurse of midwife on that night did it. I was actually on the ward the other end of the corridor and you could hear them.

When I had my son there was a woman who went off for a fag everytime her baby cried, smoked in the toilets, cracked open an alcoholic drink in the ward with her family members and had social services trapsing in and out for the whole duration of the 3 days I was on the ward. Not to mention she stunk to high heaven and if I popped for a pee she was in my bit couchy cooing my baby.

She was about 40??

Yes I was on Whirlow ward but live at Hillsborough so dont know how that was worked out.

With my first I was transferred to a ward about an hour-hour and half after giving birth, it was fine and I don't know anything about this postcode-ward thing?

With my second I didn't get to the ward I went home straight from the delivery suit! Gave birth at 2.20am and was home at 11am! I had said I wanted to go home the same day if possible as i don't like to hospital and can relax and get more help at home but I did feel I was rushed abit!

Edited by summa

I can't remember the ward I ended up on, although I do remember that it was a different ward to the one on my notes. The night nurse was lovely, helping to latch the baby on when I couldn't manage it. I think I had the only baby on the ward that didn't cry :). There was a woman who wanted her husband to stop but the nurses were trying to tell her he needed to go as there was other women on the ward and they wouldn't want a man there. She said she couldn't speak English but kept asking for toast, even though she was being sick and couldn't really eat anything. I enjoyed the experience overall. I did have to stay in a bit longer as my daughter had an heart murmur, but it corrected itself.

I should have been on Whirlow by postcode but went from HDU to Norfolk due to bed space. There was another woman on HDU in the same position who insisted on waiting for a bed on Whirlow. Whilst for the first night I was sharing with 15yr old mum with lots of noisy visitors, when I was moved to my own room (standard procedure in 2007 where poss for c-sec was ward the first night where they can see you, then private room) it was advantageous being on Norfolk as they had Nursery Nurses helping with the baby care/ BFing etc which they didnt have on Whirlow. I think provision varies but at that particular time it seemed there was more support on Norfolk- I don't know if this was for demographic reasons or just a coincidence.

I'm due my 4th baby in a few weeks. When I had my other babies (last one was in 2006) you were allocated to a ward based on postcode if there was space. This was to do with the way the teams of community midwives were divided up - i.e. there were 4 districts - whirlow, concord, norfolk & rivelin. I believe it was done to make continuity of care between community and hospital easier - nothing to do with snobbery - infact some pretty dire areas came under the Whirlow district as a matter of fact!!!

HOWEVER, things have now changed! Norfork is now the ward for those recovering from c-sections, one of the wards (sorry not sure which) is for women who are having antenatal probs or being induced and the other 2 wards cater for anyone else. Although, obviously, if they are busy you could end up anywhere!

I was told all of this my a midwife friend who works at Jessops - hope this clears things up :)

Ok just to set the record straight- this is fact, so there is no more speculation! The 4 wards did used to be split into postcodes, to ensure a mixture of 'type' of woman on each ward (antenatal/ sections/ normal births etc) but this changed a year ago to incorporate a ward for normal deliveries and a ward for woman having had a section.

As of 1st November the wards are as follows-

Norfolk- for women who have had c-sections

Whirlow- for women who have had 'normal' deliveries or straight forward ventouse/ forceps (fast turnover ward for women staying 1 night) and Transitional Care (mums with premature or small babies who are not well enough to go home but dont need the heavy input of SCBU).

Rivelin- antenatal ward

Concord Ward- 'complicated' postnatal (anyone with problems such as high blood pressure/ diabetics/ heavy blood loss at delivery etc, or who may need to stay more than a couple of nights).

Realistically though, if one ward is full, a woman may be placed on another ward until a bed becomes available.

To all those expecting a baby aswell, please note they are changing the visiting times on 29th November. Partners can still visit 9am- 9pm but for everyone else visiting will be 2-3:30pm then 6-8pm. Visiting will be strict so tell your friends and family before they turn up!

Hope this helps!