The Dempsey's Megathread

Originally posted by nick2

I don't believe Fuel is going to leave, once all the competition dries-up it will have a monopoly, so why leave ?

Out of interest how much competition do they have in Hull ?

XS used to be the Norfolk Arms, a pub, before it was renamed "XS", and became a "club"

Where is the "bear nights" thread ?

So now you agree Xs is a club then?

dempseys would be stupid to close now when students are coming back

on friday i went to climax with some friends (it was quite funny cause the guy on the door said 'thankyou for supporting climax' so you felt the effect of fuel already!) but surprisingly considering fuel had the honeyz and bb bloke djing, climaz was actually very busy!

Spoke to my friends who chose fuel and they said it got busy by about 10, and this is before students are back properly!!

When the students get back and people actually start realising they have a bit of choice (with the novelty of a new club wearing off and mentality settling a little) dempseys should realise that it has an excellent opportunity to do itself up and become the ONLY PRE-BAR for any of the clubs, especially since its open late.

Dempseys !!!! don't pack it in, stick you're money in your pocket and slap some face on you and you'll pull in the punters no problem. get involved with all three clubs, offering to sell advanced tickets from your venue (don't isolate yourself and try and compete cause you can't) and really push yourself as part of the scene with the venues supporting each other, act as a pre-bar and give the punters some choice. They can always go to more than one bar/club per night!!

Don't just throw your toys out the pram and call it quits because you're not going to have the lions share anymore, there's no reason why you can't make money.

Its just a case of being foward minded, competition like this should help the centre get better and with more choice - not just substitute one place for the next

p.s. could anyone actually imagine sheffield ever getting to the stage where you'd do a gay/bi/tran venue pub crawl? :D

posted by andy

what kind of pie?

You have 3 choices:

Minced Beef

Steak & Kidney

Chicken & Mushroom

Originally posted by skyfitsboy

No, it's a pub called "club XS"

However, The Earl is listed as a nightclub too, which I think is just a pub that stays open late, so perhaps XS is too and my definition of "club" is wrong.

Originally posted by nick2

Where is the "bear nights" thread ?

It got deleted, it may have been my fault. oopsies :blush:

Originally posted by HazyJane

It got deleted, it may have been my fault. oopsies :blush:

:(

I wanted the name of the club where you go dressed as a cuddly toy. I'll try anything once.

posted by skyfitsboy

Yes you are right, it is a club

posted by Nick2

No, it's a pub called "club XS"

Xes is a club, here is there website

Club Xes

on line 1 it says this - Welcome to Club Xes, a club at the heart of Sheffield's gays scene

Hopefully that clarifies the Xes is a club as well as a pub, but for how much longer is anyones guess.

Originally posted by peter41

on line 1 it says this - Welcome to Club Xes, a club at the heart of Sheffield's gays scene

LOL - "at the heart of Sheffields gay scene" :) :) :) :)

I can think of several other body parts to describe the place, but not "heart".

Hi Guys,

we at fuel fully appreciate all of your points on this thread and we understand why you would be concerned about a single venue 'monopolising' the gay scene.

we are very different to the venues that have been here before but only time will prove it!

we are here to stay, we do support the community, we do have morals and we do listen to what people want / need and respond those needs as fast and as fairly as possible.

we have sent letters and made loads of phone calls trying to forge relationships with all of the other gay places in sheffield, with the aim of working together to make the scene better and attract more people to the city.

the only people who have got back to us is xces, who we are now working with on several levels.

we wanted to work together with climax and dempseys to avoid clashing and to improve the scene overall etc but we have had no response to any of our communications.

in fact we seem to have fallen victim to bitching and rumours instead.

there is room for everyone in sheffield! we just need to pull together and attract people to the city for everyone to benefit.

this is the 4th biggest city in the country for goodness sake, not some backwater!

however, if people can't figure that out and make the changes and improvements to ensure their own success, please don't hold us responsible!

we have worked with all of the gay venues and groups in hull (except 1 straight club trying to cash in) and that has benefited the city no end. we are committed to doing the same here.

However, if we do end up as the only gay club here for any period of time, we will not take advantage of it!

we haven't in Hull for over two years and we won't here.

we have the vision to realise that we need to support the gay community before you will support us! not the other way around.

we also know what it is like to be stuck in a city with a crap club that you have to go to because it's the only place that is gay.

even though they put no effort in and charge the earth! it takes the p*ss and we won't do it!

again, only time will prove it.

take care peeps

danny

x

:)

Can anyone help solve a disscussion between me and a friend?

Ta

Thanks, probem solved. Not a bar I'll be popping into. Even if there is cheap chicken, rice and peas!