Does anyone feel safe on Sheffield streets? I know I don't.

So now you're concentrating specifically on Friday and Saturday night in the city centre. Hardly a venue you'd be likely to find many families using for an evening constitutional...

I thought we were just talking about Sheffield in general, which includes more than two streets in the city centre!

Well, Cyclone , I mentioned Fri. & Sat. because they seem to be the nights least likely for families to visit the city centre for a stroll round-----but after all one would think they 're entitled to do so. As I said, in many, many cities I 've visited, people go to the city centre MORE at weekends ! Also, why wouldn 't or shouldn 't ALL people be able to go to the city centre safely ?

I suspect it 's because the vast majority of places that bother to stay open after about 6 p.m. in the centre of U.K. cities, mainly cater for boozy young people. i.e. the city centres of most English cities have been ' taken over ' on weekend nights by youngsters, many of whom are drunken louts. The rest of the week it 's as dead as a door nail because all the ' family ' places have moved to safer places.

I wonder why the hospitals are constantly reporting a terrific increase in thuggishness on Fri. & Sat ? Why are the police extra busy and have to ignore fairly petty crimes as they deal with threats, punch-ups.......etc...Why do all statistics show an increase in violence on the streets since, say 1975 ? Is the debate about ' the police losing control of the streets a waste of time.....or might there be something in it ?

I suppose it COULD be all media hype. It seems strange though that 50 years ago, almost any crime [ but especially violent crime ] was reported in more detail than it is today in the Star. No-one accused them, then, of over-reporting crime ! They merely reported the facts, as they no doubt do today........and the fact is that all the evidence, anecdotal AND statistical point to an ever-increasing level of city centre street violence, almost every year.

Well, Cyclone , I mentioned Fri. & Sat. because they seem to be the nights least likely for families to visit the city centre for a stroll round-----but after all one would think they 're entitled to do so. As I said, in many, many cities I 've visited, people go to the city centre MORE at weekends ! Also, why wouldn 't or shouldn 't ALL people be able to go to the city centre safely ?

I suspect it 's because the vast majority of places that bother to stay open after about 6 p.m. in the centre of U.K. cities, mainly cater for boozy young people. i.e. the city centres of most English cities have been ' taken over ' on weekend nights by youngsters, many of whom are drunken louts. The rest of the week it 's as dead as a door nail because all the ' family ' places have moved to safer places.

I wonder why the hospitals are constantly reporting a terrific increase in thuggishness on Fri. & Sat ? Why are the police extra busy and have to ignore fairly petty crimes as they deal with threats, punch-ups.......etc...Why do all statistics show an increase in violence on the streets since, say 1975 ? Is the debate about ' the police losing control of the streets a waste of time.....or might there be something in it ?

I suppose it COULD be all media hype. It seems strange though that 50 years ago, almost any crime [ but especially violent crime ] was reported in more detail than it is today in the Star. No-one accused them, then, of over-reporting crime ! They merely reported the facts, as they no doubt do today........and the fact is that all the evidence, anecdotal AND statistical point to an ever-increasing level of city centre street violence, almost every year.

From your posts it's clear you don't live in Sheffield, in fact you don't even live in this country. So you obviously don't know what you're talking about and have just bought into the media hysteria about crime being out of control.

I can quite happily walk through the city centre any time night or day and not feel in the slightest bit threatened.

Well, worjackie, you 're quite correct -----I don 't live in Sheffield now---or the U.K.---thank God ! However, direct evidence is not the ONLY evidence one uses to judge a situation ! How the hell could anyone judge any situation if they had to live on the premises to say anything about it ! ! That is absolutely rubbish.

I certainly know what Sheffield used to be like as I hardly moved out of the place for about 43 years.....and the U.K for a further 4 years. I have also visited and lived in Sheffield temporarily on a few occasions since 1988. the rest of my view is formed by internet news reports of all kinds, internet news from friends who DO live in Sheffield now, posters on such sites as Sheff. Forum, newspapers from the U.K. and of course, official statistics. I 'm afraid I haven 't got time to fly over Sheffield in a helicopter to actually check it out-----BUT----I think I 've got a fairly accurate picture.

I can 't prove what I say......or disprove what you say.......all I 'm saying is that the weight of the evidence seems to show clearly that Sheffield City Centre [ and other areas, no doubt ] do not seem very safe for the general public. [ If it was, Sheffield City Centre might be more ' general ' ! ].

Quite right about the media. Crime is not as bad as it used to be, It is just that we hear more about what happens and more gets into the news. Years ago I would have felt unsafe in some area's but not now. It is the feelings that some people get. Fear about crime because they hear so much about it. We had four muggings in 6 weeks. But that is how it happens. Maybe one person was responsible for this and has now been caught . Again, Most crime is committed by the same group of people on our estates. The same as in the city centre, Same drunks and drug addicts. It is a fact that we learn to avoid these scum bags. Every city has the same problem not just sheffield

Never had any problems in Sheffield. I always feel safe when walking the streets, no matter what time it is.

I live here and I don't see all this crime being reported in the papers and on TV, am i watching the wrong channel and reading the wrong papers ?

thats just bad luck melthebell.... were these incidents in sheffield by any chance? and how long ago?

Twice..at the forum meet. :D

Both on the same occasion.:suspect:

Edited by Alien

Well judging by a number of posts on this thread there is no crime in Sheffield, no incidents have happened, no-one has come to any harm, there is no reason to even think that there may be anything of concern at all, anything printed in any newspaper, syp reports is pure fabrication, things like that don't happen in Sheffield, anyone who doesn't feel safe is just being paranoid, it's all ok because Sheffield is no worse than anywhere else according to many other post.

Anyone who dares to suggest crime took place is obviously a liar and just there to feed the hysteria, there's no fact, no truth of any kind that crime happens in Sheffield.....Sorry wait if it does do, it's ok because it happens elsewhere.

Wow....I feel much safer :loopy:

Well judging by a number of posts on this thread there is no crime in Sheffield, no incidents have happened, no-one has come to any harm, there is no reason to even think that there may be anything of concern at all, anything printed in any newspaper, syp reports is pure fabrication, things like that don't happen in Sheffield, anyone who doesn't feel safe is just being paranoid, it's all ok because Sheffield is no worse than anywhere else according to many other post.

Anyone who dares to suggest crime took place is obviously a liar and just there to feed the hysteria, there's no fact, no truth of any kind that crime happens in Sheffield.....Sorry wait if it does do, it's ok because it happens elsewhere.

Wow....I feel much safer :loopy:

Hysterical much ?

Maybe there are no families out on west street late in the evening because the children have to go to bed. What a strange argument, sheffield is unsafe because families don't go for a stroll on west street on a saturday night...

When exactly is it that families would have done this, or is it just something they never wanted to or did?

safe! just use common sense. be wary of who's around you.