Its nearly Bonfire night - what will you be doing?

Me ? I have the bonfire nearly ready and this year I shall be burning an effigy of Lady Gaga.. (spit) whilst I chomp down on bonfire toffee and parkin and John smiths.... whilst letting a few (Doctored) fireworks off for the amusement of the local children.. What you up to ?? Own or Organised ??

Apparently im going to get my tight fisted hand in my pocket, buy some fireworks instead of making the kids go to the garden to watch other peoples fireworks . Get my fat arse in on our garden and build a bloody fire. Guy and all.

I wouldnt mind but i dont have a friend called guy so looks like in doing it myself!!

:(

I wonder if the staunch Catholics celebrate it too :suspect:

My father always made himself scarce at the evening, most of my relatives were protestants so they had no idea of its meaning.

We always had a good time, but we had no idea as children, of what we were being subliminally taught.

I at that time was a catholic, but as a child it means nothing, all you want is the fireworks.

When later you learn the true story, it is a bit of a time for reflection on the manipulation of mankind.

only if im not gang raped this time

If we would- how very dare you!!!!!!!!!!! :hihi:

It is suprising that Yorkshiremen should celebrate Guy Fawkes night.

He was a Yorkshireman, and trying to get rid of a Scottish despot King.

He was killed in the worst way that has every been devised.

Hung Drawn and Quartered.

His paymasters were all hanged.

And you celebrate this every year as if it is a good thing.

Yet if someone mentions the return of the Death penalty, you are down like a pack of howling dogs.

Double Standards or what?

We are celebrating the fact that a Yorkshireman had the guts to take on the King. We're all republicans up here you know!:hihi:

We are celebrating the fact that a Yorkshireman had the guts to take on the King. We're all republicans up here you know!:hihi:

I like that way of looking at it. :D

I might even buy my grandaughter a packet of sparklers this year. :hihi:

If I can afford it. :D;)

Amen to that brother.

It is suprising that Yorkshiremen should celebrate Guy Fawkes night.

He was a Yorkshireman, and trying to get rid of a Scottish despot King.

He was killed in the worst way that has every been devised.

Hung Drawn and Quartered.

His paymasters were all hanged.

And you celebrate this every year as if it is a good thing.

Yet if someone mentions the return of the Death penalty, you are down like a pack of howling dogs.

Double Standards or what?

Have you ever thought that we're not actually celebrating the demise of Guido Fawkes, we're celebrating that someone nearly destroyed the Houses of Parliament - imagine the party we'd be having if....:hihi:

EDIT - sorry, someone beat me to it.

I will be on a plane, en route for Australia! I don't think they'd take too kindly to my setting off any pretty fireworks!!

Have you ever thought that we're not actually celebrating the demise of Guido Fawkes, we're celebrating that someone nearly destroyed the Houses of Parliament - imagine the party we'd be having if....:hihi:

Imagine the world, if they had suceeded, or if the USA had lost the revolutionary war, or if the Armada had taken England.

How different the world today would be.

It would not be the place it is today for sure.

But it would not be so advanced either, it was only by religeon different to theirs that drove people to America.

They pulled themselves up by their boot straps and threw England out.

We thought on our feet, and the Industrial revolution began.

The rest as they say is history.

There is enough here for a new thread.:hihi:

In a science programme I saw they recreated the same amount of gunpowder. It was in the cellars remember, the blast would have levelled most of the area and certainly killed the king and many more people.