Sign in to follow this  

Does a computer being near a radiator affect it ?

Now that the colder weather is coming and we are having our heating on,my laptop is quite near to a radiator,not bang next to it but quite near.Could this affect the laptop ? I bought the laptop in April, so have never had the heating switched on before now.

I wouldn't have thought the heat would be too good for it if it's too near the radiator Pattricia; laptops have fans in them to keep them cool (as do most if not all computers!)

I reckon if the case gets warm because of the radiator, it's time to move it somewhere else.

I'm not the best with technical stuff, so I'm sure someone who really knows what they're talking about will be along soon! :)

K x

I wouldn't put it where it can get warm in operation; the fan is designed to keep the laptop cool when it's in a particular range of temperatures. If you put the computer in a range of temperatures higher than what it's specified for then the fan will be working more and if it can't keep things cool then the overheating may cause the laptop to turn itself off.

Short answer - keep it away from direct sources of heat!

joe

Originally posted by JoeP

I wouldn't put it where it can get warm in operation; the fan is designed to keep the laptop cool when it's in a particular range of temperatures. If you put the computer in a range of temperatures higher than what it's specified for then the fan will be working more and if it can't keep things cool then the overheating may cause the laptop to turn itself off.

Short answer - keep it away from direct sources of heat!

joe

Thanks so much JoeP,and Kristian.You put it so clearly.Its funny my husband asked me tonight,what that noise was on my laptop,now I know its a fan keeping it cool. Will take your advice and keep it away from heat.:thumbsup:

The heat from the radiator will rise up, but would also generate heat on the side wall of the PC. It should be fine, not forgetting that PC heats up considerably with CD rom use too (feel the discs from the player in your car!). You are more likely to see more heat problems by putting your PC into the designated area in PC desks, which rarely have adequate ventilation!

Radiators emit small EMF because they are connected to the Earth of your mains electricity, plus the heat rizing, I have known many monitors to go 'wobbly' (CRT ones mind) because they are near a radiator or similar, I have also known PC's to crash when-ever they are near a radiator, and not because of a heat issue...

so yes, it CAN affect things, its un likley, and doesnt happen much, but it can happen