Photos from photo shoot

no shops will print these or reproduce them due to copyright laws. The reason the it is so expensive to buy the bigger photos is because you are actually buying the copyright to that picture so you can do whatever you want with it, the cost of the actual picture prob isnt that much but buying the rights to the picture is very expensive.

You could prob buy all the pics on a disc for cheaper so you could look at them at a bigger size on your own computer but the photographer will prob put some sort of edit lock on the disc so you cant copy it or print them off.

This is how they make their money!!

Not that i have to explain myself to you, i had been recommended to have the photo shoot done... and yes i wanted a cd with them on but i didnt want to pay £3000 for it

wow 3 grand!!! Obviously payin for the copyright on the disc then too, i know some places do the disc but like i said put some sort of thing on it so you cant print the pics off.

I had a shoot done a couple of years ago with a guy who didnt charge for the shoot, gave you every single photo that he took on a disc and you could do what you wanted with them, i.e. get them printed etc, but you just had to agree to let him use any pics he chose in his portfolio.

I enjoyed having the photo shoot done, I went with 3 of my closest girlfriends and we had a right good laugh, was a fun experience. We never went with the intention of turning into the next big thing, we just went a had a laugh together and had some pics done for ourselves.

Yea i went with my best friend in manchester and had a nice day out, i was just wondering that was all i have got them blown up so far now by my step dad :D and they still look ok

We got a couple of picture but there is not point calling me a CHEAP SKATE because i didnt want to pay £3000 for all of them

Yea i went with my best friend in manchester and had a nice day out, i was just wondering that was all i have got them blown up so far now by my step dad :D and they still look ok

We got a couple of picture but there is not point calling me a CHEAP SKATE because i didnt want to pay £3000 for all of them

You were being ripped off if they were trying to charge you £3,000.

Exactly thats why i didnt get it, i refused

Did you not ask how much they were going to be beforehand?

i think that it prob same place my sis-in-law went as that was in Manchester, think its quite a big company as know a couple of other people who been there. My sis in law only got about 3 pics cos the packages were so expensive!! As for people calling you a cheap skate i'd just ignore!! my sis tried to cancel her appt once she found out the prices but then they wanted to charge her for cancelling it!! So she decided to go have pics done to avoid another charge!!! The trouble is, the pics look so good that people who dont intend to buy them, do end up with them as they cant resist - my friend from work went same place and couldnt resist buying photos and ended up takin finance out for about £2000 and got about 8 pictures!!!! Crazy - i'm thinkin about gettin into photography!!!!!!!!!!

You were being ripped off if they were trying to charge you £3,000.

that is how much they charge for copyright - my sister had a disc from her wedding photographer with all the remaining photos on that she hadnt chosen for her album - I suggested we go print them off ourselves but we couldnt as the disc had had something done to it which meant she couldnt print them - she would have had to pay another £2000 to get the copyright for all the pics so she could print them off!!

Sadly a lot of places are only in it for the money, they give you a "free" sitting then rip you off with the prints.

I have a small studio in Walkley and use of a scout hut for larger group shoots and am always amazed at how much these big faceless companies charge.

no shops will print these or reproduce them due to copyright laws. The reason the it is so expensive to buy the bigger photos is because you are actually buying the copyright to that picture so you can do whatever you want with it, the cost of the actual picture prob isnt that much but buying the rights to the picture is very expensive.

You could prob buy all the pics on a disc for cheaper so you could look at them at a bigger size on your own computer but the photographer will prob put some sort of edit lock on the disc so you cant copy it or print them off.

This is how they make their money!!

Just to point out that if you buy a print from a photographer you are NOT buying the copyright. If you buy the picture on a disc then you purchase copy right. Just to be clear, under the law, a photographer is generally considered to be an artist. I think many people forget when you employ a photographer you are paying for their skill and professional equipment.

Selling the disc is not as profitable as selling prints as there is no repeat business so I would not expect it to be cheaper than a print.

I'm confused about people expecting a disc. You wouldn't employ a builder and expect the bricks for free!

As for 'the trouble is the pictures look so good you can't resist' I should think they are if you're expected to buy them. People would have a lot to say if they weren't. Photography is a business with a product and you should pay for it. If you don't think the price is right you should go elswhere before you agree to purchase shoot time or photos. But if you want the best you have got to expect to pay for it.

Photographs can be hung on peoples walls for a lifetime, you want a quality product for that.

I do agree that some places charge extortionate prices but I think its your repsonsibility to find that out before you agree to go. If you cancel a dental appointment at short notice you can be expected to pay and why not? If its too late to fill that slot with other business then thats fair. You wouldn't book a holiday without finding out the cost and you can't cancel one without being charged.

As in every business sector there is value for money and rip offs. With photography you should always look at the portfolio to see if the photographer can produce work to a good standard. Good photographers are proud of their work.

Obviously, being in the business, I'm a bit defensive about it ;-) but I do agree that there are some franchises out there who do charge way over the top! £3000 per job I'd only need to do 1 a month! But do you need every photo from a shoot? No. There are going to be a couple of shots out of every shoot that are 'the ones', just buy them.