Nether Edge - any thoughts?

Hi we're looking at buying a house in nether edge - currently live other side of Sheffield. Im a little bit apprehensive as I heard some really positive things about the area and it sounds like a great place to live (good community, leafy streets, more house for your money than Fulwood/Ecclesall) BUT ive also heard some not so good things...mainly about its proximity to abbeydale road and the problems that may bring. Ive heard the catchment school area not so good and that if you stay west of the cross roads you cant go wrong. Is it a good place to live if you're in you're early thirties, no kids (yet) and like good food and a drink? Thanks any comments would be great! Lou :confused:

I have lived in various areas in Sheffield. I have never lived in Netheredge and wouldn't fancy it either. I find it dingy on the Abbeydale side and Hard to access on the Psalter lane side. The traffic is a nightmare whichever way you approach it. The houses are big though. This is just my opinion.

It's a very pleasant suburb of Sheffield, especially the leafier parts.

Hi we're looking at buying a house in nether edge - currently live other side of Sheffield. Im a little bit apprehensive as I heard some really positive things about the area and it sounds like a great place to live (good community, leafy streets, more house for your money than Fulwood/Ecclesall) BUT ive also heard some not so good things...mainly about its proximity to abbeydale road and the problems that may bring. Ive heard the catchment school area not so good and that if you stay west of the cross roads you cant go wrong. Is it a good place to live if you're in you're early thirties, no kids (yet) and like good food and a drink? Thanks any comments would be great! Lou :confused:

Upper Nether Edge is fabulous, my wife lived there with her parents, our son lives there with his partner. Infact, if you like the look of the top of Machon Bank Road (near the Union Hotel) pm me, I know of something coming up.

hi thanks for your reply... traffic not so bothered about - more concerned about general standard of living. I guess what im most concerned about is if its dodgy?

...any roads to avoid?

...thanks Crookesey! what do you class as Upper Nether Edge?

Not a bad area at all. I used to frequent it alot. I would avoid the terraced roads near the main road going down to Abbeydale road. There are some nice roads further up. There is a little pub on the corner, I can't remember what it is called, (not the Byron).

hi thanks for your reply... traffic not so bothered about - more concerned about general standard of living. I guess what im most concerned about is if its dodgy?

...any roads to avoid?

I would avoid any roads that attach to Abbeydale road, ideally you want to be towards the eccy road side if that makes sense? I used to live there and now find Meersbrook a nicer and quieter area compared to the Abbeydale road side of Nether Edge.

I was sat in the mini Tesco's carkpark at the bottom of Sheldon road and it shocked me the stuff I was seeing in a small 10 minute period, it is quite sad really as I loved the area and living there :(.

edit: around the union pub is lovely :)

Edited by Evei

Agree with everything Evei just said.:thumbsup:

Agree with everything Evei just said.:thumbsup:

Seconded. :)

Seconded. :)

thirded

my sis has had three houses in nether edge and they have all been lovely found the area very pleasant xxx

...thanks Crookesey! what do you class as Upper Nether Edge?

Around the Nether Edge Hospital development, along Cherry Tree Road to Psalter Lane, as I said the top of Machon Bank Road, Union Road, Ashland Road, Kenbourne Road, Rundle Road, Ryle Road, Meadow Bank Road. Brincliffe and Kenwood (where the hotel is) are also well worth a look, our son is currently living in Kenwood, that is in effect an area of Nether Edge.

Well there's my two penneth, good hunting.