Large number of teen suicides due to homophobic bullying.

You mean the "Illegal Zionist State of Israel"? They make up for their liberal views by being such cads* towards the Palestinians.

*Would have used another word beginning with C if allowed.

Well of course I meant impressive vis a vis LGBT rights as you pointed out in your earlier post, I thought that that was obvious in the context of this discussion.

Well of course I meant impressive vis a vis LGBT rights as you pointed out in your earlier post, I thought that that was obvious in the context of this discussion.

To be fair that wiki page says they still don't let them marry.

Also in the anti discrimination collumn it says 'bans some anti gay discrimination' whereas there are some countries which 'ban all anti gay discrimination'.

They ain't leading the world, just the middle east.

To be fair that wiki page says they still don't let them marry.

Also in the anti discrimination collumn it says 'bans some anti gay discrimination' whereas there are some countries which 'ban all anti gay discrimination'.

They ain't leading the world, just the middle east.

I actually didn't read that link but looked at this one instead.

I was impressed (and surprised) however to read about the lesbian couple in their version of Dancing with the Stars. And let us not forget Dana International.:hihi:

And I thought you'd realise that post was only 50% serious (also I didn't want to be taken as an apologist for Israel).

And I thought you'd realise that post was only 50% serious (also I didn't want to be taken as an apologist for Israel).

Well, it is surprising on that level and as far as middle eastern and Asian countries go, progressive vis a vis LGBT issues. It's all relative though and even in countries such as the UK where a lot of legislative work has been done to improve gay rights, homophobia is still rife.

I'd like to see the Stoke Newington school example rolled out to other schools. However, Stoke Newington (or parts of it) are very middle class and bohemian, I wonder how lessons in gay history would be received elsewhere.

I imagine plenty of places in America wish it was still illegal. In fact, it was still illegal in some places as recently as 2003.

I think the problem with fundamental Christian teachings or rural areas is that you're not fighting against a minority..homophobia as well as other phobias are almost a universal viewpoint. Even confiding in your closest peers would be dangerous. You may brush away an action through a law overnight but you can't change the mentality it's aimed at as a collective in the same way..that takes time and education. The US is not unique, the UK suffers the same..one only has to read comments from a forum such as this to deduce that.

This is the forum for witch hunts, just mention race, homosexuals/lesbians and islam,

..I can only deduce that you are a practising masochist, considering your frequency on anything race/homosexual/lesbian or Islam. If you find being hunted so distasteful I guess there are plenty of masochist forums that would feed your need...you'll prob need a credit card though.

Edited by Alien

No form of bullying should ever be tolerated by anyone. How in this day and age are people still hung up on something that really isnt a big deal. Bullying someone because they are gay is like bullying someone because of their eye colour, its ridiculous.

No form of bullying should ever be tolerated by anyone. How in this day and age are people still hung up on something that really isnt a big deal. Bullying someone because they are gay is like bullying someone because of their eye colour, its ridiculous.

"This day and age" is a concept some haven't come to grips with. That's why there's a problem. "This day and age" people starve, die/suffer commit suicide unnecessarily as a consequence. It's easier to fear something than it is to try and understand something (for some).

I'm on another forum and heard about these kids, we all wore purple for them on oct 20th, interested to know if anyone here heard about it/wore it.

unfortunately bullying will always exist and you do get people bullying others for their eye colour, hair colour, skin colour, sexuality, complexion, eyesight.

its pretty much a fear of the unknown

I'm on another forum and heard about these kids, we all wore purple for them on oct 20th, interested to know if anyone here heard about it/wore it.

unfortunately bullying will always exist and you do get people bullying others for their eye colour, hair colour, skin colour, sexuality, complexion, eyesight.

its pretty much a fear of the unknown

Any form of bullying is unacceptable, however, I do think that homophobic bullying is more insidious as it seems to frequently go unchallenged as many schools are unsure of how to manage it. It also remains hidden as many of those on the receiving end fear reporting it for a variety of reasons. It also seems to start at an age when many kids are not even aware of what homosexuality is never mind their own sexuality which consequently deters them from acknowledging it if they are gay.

Why Oct 20th? is this linked to the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign? (ignore that, just found a youtube clip about Oct 20th)

But it's still worth letting folk know about this...

(for those who don't know, that stands for 'Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere, and was set up after Sophie Lancaster was killed in August 2007 for wearing Gothic styles)

Edited by ValW
more info