Remote control for central heating thermostat. Is this possible?

Rather than put my heating on for set periods each day (because I'm not always here, plus it doesn't always warrant it) I'd like to be able to essentially stick it on for a couple of hours when needed. I can do this currently if I put the thermostat on to maximum, but quite often I forget that it's on and leave it on for much longer than I need to.

Here is a picture of my thermostat. It is located upstairs. Is it possible to get a remote control set up where I can turn heating on and off from downstairs as and when required?

Alternatively, is there a box that I could have installed where I could just press a boost button to give me a set amount of heating - say for an hour or two.

If so, any ideas as to how much this would cost?

Thanks in advance.

You could buy a programmable thermostat (the link is to an American device but they are available in the UK and the explanation with the link is pretty good.

Here's a http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20053916,00.html on how to install a programmable thermostat. (Again it's an American video.)

You would set the programmes for what you expect to need each day, but the programmable thermostats have an 'override' button which can allow you to jump to the next programme early or stay in the current one for longer.

Programmable thermostats aren't expensive - but I've no idea how much they cost in Sheffield.

Don't do it! Stick with a wired one at least. I'm having loads of probelms with my RF room thermostat, the receiver sometimes not picking up the signal to turn on the heating, sometimes not picking up the signal to switch it off, and sometimes the receiver picking up rogue signals from somewhere else turning the heating on and off randomly.

Any electricians reading this please feel free to pm me with a quote to remove the external receiver unit at the boiler and wire in a standard room thermostat. Ta.

Edited by mj.scuba

When we had a new combi-boiler installed we got a remote thermostat as standard and it's great. We programme it to come on in the morning for a couple of hours and then to come on again 30 mins before we get back from work. I think you can programme the heating to turn on / off 5 times a day and put what temperature you want the heating at for each time it is on. It's great to keep next to the bed if it gets cold in the night.

Don't do it! Stick with a wired one at least. I'm having loads of probelms with my RF room thermostat, the receiver sometimes not picking up the signal to turn on the heating, sometimes not picking up the signal to switch it off, and sometimes the receiver picking up rogue signals from somewhere else turning the heating on and off randomly.

Any electricians reading this please feel free to pm me with a quote to remove the external receiver unit at the boiler and wire in a standard room thermostat. Ta.

Have you tried resetting the internal jumper switches? It maybe that someone close has had a new system fitted interrupting yours. Make sure you have no other electrical items within close range..microwaves etc.

Have you tried resetting the internal jumper switches? It maybe that someone close has had a new system fitted interrupting yours. Make sure you have no other electrical items within close range..microwaves etc.

Thanks Alien I have not tried that so will give it a go. My RF thermostat might be spared the hammer yet!

Rather than put my heating on for set periods each day (because I'm not always here, plus it doesn't always warrant it) I'd like to be able to essentially stick it on for a couple of hours when needed. I can do this currently if I put the thermostat on to maximum, but quite often I forget that it's on and leave it on for much longer than I need to.

Here is a picture of my thermostat. It is located upstairs. Is it possible to get a remote control set up where I can turn heating on and off from downstairs as and when required?

Alternatively, is there a box that I could have installed where I could just press a boost button to give me a set amount of heating - say for an hour or two.

If so, any ideas as to how much this would cost?

Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't it cost more to keep turning it on and off for only when you think you need it , that would be like cooling your whole house off from the start again, takes longer , more power :confused:

My boiler and central heating controller are both outside the house in an attached shed (for want of a better word). Don't ask, it was like this when we bought the house earlier this year.

Obviously as the weather gets worse having to go outside just to flick the central heating on for an hour will quickly get to be a complete pain. Does anybody know roughly how much it would be to buy and fit a remote controller/thermostat? It's a fairly modern combi boiler, if that makes any difference.

My boiler and central heating controller are both outside the house in an attached shed (for want of a better word). Don't ask, it was like this when we bought the house earlier this year.

Obviously as the weather gets worse having to go outside just to flick the central heating on for an hour will quickly get to be a complete pain. Does anybody know roughly how much it would be to buy and fit a remote controller/thermostat? It's a fairly modern combi boiler, if that makes any difference.

Depending on the controller I would guess in the region of £90-£120 it isn't a difficult task.

Hi fabulousinc, mj scuba and Fantomas, we are a central heating company and would be happy to offer any advice regarding the options for controlling your central heating in the best way for each of you. If any of you would like to give me a call I'd be happy to discuss your options and offer advice over the phone or arrange to visit to offer advice and/or a free quote to upgrade your heating controls or thermostats

Thanks

Dan

City Wide Heating Services

We could supply and fit you a top quality honeywell cm927 wireless programmable room thermostat for £160. My advice would be very much to stay away from the cheap one we put some in from screwfix last year I 've changed them all fro honeywell we have now fitted over 300 of these with very little problems (150 to one landlord alone he believes they save that much money on bill.)