Americans help woman whose Taliban husband cut of her nose and ears

I don't know Afghani Law, so I couldn't possibly say if it illegal or not. Can you say with 100% certainty that mutilation of women, for any reason, is illegal in Afghanistan? Can you link to the Afghani statute book where it states it to be illegal?

Even if it is illegal, I think the point Harleyman makes is that the perpetrator is unlikely to be punished as such attacks are common place in that region of the world so it's not even a tabboo thing to do.

I haven't heard anything on the news that the man was in fact punished. I asked this question of Tony in case he knew but got no answer.

It's very possible that no action was taken against the man and with that we can surmise that while this kind of thing may be against the law it is overlooked and therefore tolerated which would never be the case in a civilized society

I haven't heard anything on the news that the man was in fact punished. I asked this question of Tony in case he knew but got no answer.

It's very possible that no action was taken against the man and with that we can surmise that while this kind of thing may be against the law it is overlooked and therefore tolerated which would never be the case in a civilized society

There you go again. The sheer hypocrisy makes me want to vomit.

j

Then just go away and toss up your din dins and quit with the one liner responses. If you have a counter argument then come on out and say. I wont come over to your hooch and bite your head off :hihi:

j

Then just go away and toss up your din dins and quit with the one liner responses. If you have a counter argument then come on out and say. I wont come over to your hooch and bite your head off :hihi:

The counter argument would go straight over your head; if you see the Afghans as less than human there's not a lot that I can say that'll change that.

I'm confused. I cannot see anything inaccurate or false in what Harleyman has written. I think any possible hypocrisy here is managing to somehow critiscise the Americans on a thread that was congratulating them on their compassion for this woman, whilst being in denial about how depraved and barbaric other parts of our world are.

The counter argument would go straight over your head; if you see the Afghans as less than human there's not a lot that I can say that'll change that.

The lady in the OP must have been extra sub human for them to fly her over there for treatment. I'm sure they've fed her on nothing but pig offal since her surgery.

Fair cop out :hihi:

The lady in the OP must have been extra sub human for them to fly her over there for treatment. I'm sure they've fed her on nothing but pig offal since her surgery.

Didnt the girl's parents condone what was done to her? i know that there have been some incidences in past cases where the parents of a girl living in a forced marriage have participated in the husband's punishment of her for whatever reason.

Just think. The girl will be allowed to stay in the US. If she wishes she will be able to study at school, go on to college, graduate with a diploma and move into a career of her choice. She will be free to choose the clothes she wears, drive a car, vote in an election, speak out or demonstrate openly in the street against anything she doesn't agree with, join any society or organisation she might wish to be a part of and if the day comes be free to marry a man she loves instead of her parents forcing her into a marriage with some ugly old git twice or three times her age who wants to smother her in a bhurkha, herd goats and be his unwilling concubine.

I don't know if he or the perpetrators have been arrested but that doesn't mean that it is legal does it?

There you go, it wasn't so difficult to say was it? Did you just feel the need to empty your bile first?

There's a point here. If societies like Afghanistan are to come out of the middle ages they need to be recognised for what they are doing in the face of incredible adversity. Silly posturing by supposedly advanced nations is now prolonging the death and destruction that we see. At the same time some of those nations (well just the USA actually) need to put their own house in order before taking the moral high ground. Do you understand why this hypocrisy is pointed out so often?

I don't know if he or the perpetrators have been arrested but that doesn't mean that it is legal does it?

There you go, it wasn't so difficult to say was it? Did you just feel the need to empty your bile first?

There's a point here. If societies like Afghanistan are to come out of the middle ages they need to be recognised for what they are doing in the face of incredible adversity. Silly posturing by supposedly advanced nations is now prolonging the death and destruction that we see. At the same time some of those nations (well just the USA actually) need to put their own house in order before taking the moral high ground. Do you understand why this hypocrisy is pointed out so often?

What about countries such as Saudi Arabia, Syria, Iran and Kuwait. They're hardly backward yet women are still treated as second class citizens, not allowed to vote, drive cars or choose their clothing.

Your blaming the US for lack of progress in the matter of fair and equal rights is just childish and without logic whatsoever.

The fact of the matter is that the Islamic culture sees and always has seen women as a lesser species than men.

Even North Korea treats it's women more as equals and the Soviet Union for all it's failings and faults did the same also

Dont keep rattling on about hypocrisy. There is no hypocrisy from me just plain fact

Who was talking about equal rights? This discussion is about extreme crime and punishment. Best stick to the topic or we'll end up discussing slavery and black rights.

I'm guessing that you don't see the hypocrisy in your belief that executing people (including the mentally ill) by electrocution, poisoning, firing squad and hanging is OK but stoning is barbaric? One is a sign of civilisation while the other is a mark of barbarism eh?