"V" The new series

Did anyone catch it last night? I thought it was somewhat of a disappointment.

Ignoring the critics who claimed the arrival was a rip off from Independence Day (which was actually a rip off from the original "V" but that's beside the point!)

I felt the whole episode was rushed, like they needed to cram in the dark secret as soon as possible.

Where were the uniforms? The slightly odd voices? The explanation that they needed Earth's help? The visitors who worked in the chemical plants manufacturing the chemical they needed? Even Robert Englund's "Willie" character?

The clandestine meeting to expose the visitors even seemed ripped off from the cult classic "They Live".

The only parallel to the original was the similar likeness to the priest / leader of the rebels to Marc Singer who played Donovan.

Hi, is this the 2nd series or the 1st?

I think his post must have arrived via a wormhole.

Funny, I've just been reminiscing with someone the same age as me about how much the original V miniseries affected us. It was event television on a massive scale and I seem to remember it was put up against the Olympics and won over record viewers!

The gerbil swallowing scene was AMAZING! And will always be a happily remembered childhood trauma.

So yes I agree this series seems a bit damp.

Mind you, I've heard that Jane Badler who played the original Diana is coming back as the new Diana's mother! They could yet camp it up 80's style a treat!

(I think the original show dropped the electronic voice after the first miniseries).

Hi, is this the 2nd series or the 1st?

Think this must be 1st. series. Watched it all Will be there for 2nd series . My fav. is still True Blood.

I thought that they'd pulled the plug on making a sequel to the new series, after poor ratings, which is annoying, as unlike the original, it was left totally unresolved with all kinds of loose ends, I saw it earlier on in the year on the SyFy Channel.

Although the original is hugely dated now, I preferred it to this glossy affair, which as others have said, still hasn't revealed their motives, unless I missed it. I assume, that like the original, they're on earth to harvest food in the form of humans?

I really cannot engage with the journalist character, he seems totally superfluous, not to mention extremely irritating. And whose side is he really on? Is that supposed to keep the audience guessing and create suspense? I just find it very unconvincing and a pathetic plot device which isn't working for me.

The original series had a sequel which I never saw and never managed to catch in the repeats on the SyFy channel either. Does anyone know what happened?

I rented the original episodes from Tesco DVD rental last week (along with They Live for comparison) and watched them over the weekend - they were superior in every way. OK, so the special effects looked lame now, but the plot was so much better.