Chilean miners-all 33 rescued! Joy!

As for your jocular or serious remarks that this might generate some renewed interest in sending people to Mars how in hell's name do you eaquate surviving 68 days 2,000 feet below ground with interplanetary space flight and the conditions encountered therein? :hihi:

I dont kwno who will be the first to reach Mars. The US dont have money for that. 1.3 trillion deficit at present Maybe the Chinese or perhaps the Israelis who will leave a mazo ball and a tub of gefilte fish there to mark their landing

Well my 'jocular' remark didn't take long to become a reality did it ?

All I said was that with this event NASA would have a renewed interest in going to Mars and could try selling the Idea to the American people (because of man's endurance in the mine).And for that Harleyman took it as an attack on the US :loopy:

Well here is a link for you Harleyman if you get the chance to brows it, don't worry Im not after an apology, being right is enough.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8091965/Nasa-unveils-bold-plans-to-send-humans-one-way-to-Mars-to-colonise-planet.html

All I said was that with this event NASA would have a renewed interest in going to Mars and could try selling the Idea to the American people (because of man's endurance in the mine).And for that Harleyman took it as an attack on the US :loopy:

Well here is a link for you Harleyman if you get the chance to brows it, don't worry Im not after an apology, being right is enough.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/8091965/Nasa-unveils-bold-plans-to-send-humans-one-way-to-Mars-to-colonise-planet.html

Nice one! :thumbsup:

From now on I'm going to read your posts with the respect they deserve! ;)

( ... don't suppose you have any idea of the lottery numbers for this week? :D )

Nice one! :thumbsup:

From now on I'm going to read your posts with the respect they deserve! ;)

( ... don't suppose you have any idea of the lottery numbers for this week? :D )

I am tempted to make some up now just for a laugh but I would feel compelled to put money on them in case they came up :D

Ok, just for a laugh the numbers are... 23 45 6 19 21 27 and the bonus ball is 12 ;)

I reckon that the real lottery loosers are the Chilean miners on the other shift - ok at first they must have been thanking their stars that they weren't trapped, but now they have lost their livelyhood and have none of the trappings of stardom that their mates now have.

Who would want to volunteer for a one way trip to a place like Mars? There's nothing there except traces of what they believe is water It would be a hard intensly boring existence to say the least and after 15 years or so they'd all end up killing each other like Fletcher Christian and his mates on Pitcairn :D

I suppose there are those that would go purely on the basis that they have real issues with their fellow man. Man is probably not one of the best examples of life on Earth and any chance to get away would be a good move.

The only problem is knowing that one day you would get a visit from your neighbourly Earth at some time messing up your isolation.

I think that although man has proven himself to adapt to some of the most hostile environments here we have at least had numerous food sources to explore ect that these poor people will not. We are social creatures and I think the isolation alone, like said above, will be enough to wipe them out let alone shortages of nutrition.

Anyone thinking of doing this should spend a great deal of time with these miners and get an idea what its really like to be alone and be totally alone.

What seems like a good idea down here on earth, the reality of survival on another hostile planet will undoubtedly be too much for anyone.

I know that the its been a goal of man to reach for the stars but the pioneers of such a task will need to be the best man has to offer just to make it a short time.

We all have to die I guess but I like the odds slightly more in my favour than what these lot are going to have :(

I think that although man has proven himself to adapt to some of the most hostile environments here we have at least had numerous food sources to explore ect that these poor people will not. We are social creatures and I think the isolation alone, like said above, will be enough to wipe them out let alone shortages of nutrition.

Anyone thinking of doing this should spend a great deal of time with these miners and get an idea what its really like to be alone and be totally alone.

What seems like a good idea down here on earth, the reality of survival on another hostile planet will undoubtedly be too much for anyone.

I know that the its been a goal of man to reach for the stars but the pioneers of such a task will need to be the best man has to offer just to make it a short time.

We all have to die I guess but I like the odds slightly more in my favour than what these lot are going to have :(

Man adapts to his environment. Animals born and raised in captivity and then released are usually monitored although they are essentially wild animals. If you're raised with only a few dozen around you then at the age 30 you were all of a sudden dropped in a mall or football stadium it would like animals take time to adjust. The first pioneers would need serious medication to keep them sane unless the first pioneers were raised and trained in near total isolation from birth.

Although the miners experience must have been terrible they were better mentally equipped than most, they had a commonality...They were comrades before and after the disaster. They were miners..well used to living and working underground in hazardous conditions. What breaks men is the loss of power or faith. Whatever they did had no effect on future events..it's your faith/trust in your fellow man to get you out, and under the circumstances that's a tall order considering it was the inaction of men that put them in harms way in the first place...and they knew it.

If ever any of our two legged earthly species manage to reach another planet with geographical conditions and climate capable of sustaining life I express my heartfelt sympathies and condolences to any species of life on that unfortunate planet.

We'll screw the whole place up in a few decades

Environmentally and socially we are a disease in the Universe and best confined to poor mother Earth

Edited by Harleyman

If ever any of our two legged earthly species manage to reach another planet with geographical conditions and climate capable of sustaining life I express my heartfelt sympathies and condolences to any species of life on that unfortunate planet.

We'll screw the whole place up in a few decades

Environmentally and socially we are a disease in the Universe and best confined to poor mother Earth

I tend to agree with you, but I bet every living organism has the potential of acting like a virus. The only thing is with humans is we have the intelligence to know better.

I think the talk of going to other planets is a bit premature until we have developed a decent enough ray gun so we can 'come in peace' properly :D

I tend to agree with you, but I bet every living organism has the potential of acting like a virus. The only thing is with humans is we have the intelligence to know better.

I think the talk of going to other planets is a bit premature until we have developed a decent enough ray gun so we can 'come in peace' properly :D

We may have the intelligence but not the common sense. Until mankind casts off it's cultural differences and nationalitic rivalries and greed instincts it cannot in any seriousness dream of colonizing another planet simply because we would bring all these with us and screw up that place too

We may have the intelligence but not the common sense. Until mankind casts off it's cultural differences and nationalitic rivalries and greed instincts it cannot in any seriousness dream of colonizing another planet simply because we would bring all these with us and screw up that place too

You missed out religion ?