Books that you want to throw out of the window.

I enjoyed Portrait of the Artist. I tried several times to read Ulysses, but never got that far to be honest. Then I made my big mistake...

...I decided to buy Finnegans Wake. Not having read any of it before, I thought it might be easier going than Ulysses. Dear God!

"As the lion in our teargarten remembers the nenuphars of his Nile (shall Ariuz forget Arioun or Boghas the baregams of the Marmarazalles from Marmeniere?) it may be, tots wearsense full a naggin in twentyg have sigilposted what in our brievingbust, the besieged bedreamt him stil and solely of those lililiths undeveiled which had undone him, gone for age, and knew not the watchful treachers at his wake, and theirs to stay. Fooi, fooi, chamermissies! Zeepyzoepy, larcenlads! Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! It may be, we moest ons hasten selves te declareer it, that he reglimmed? presaw?" :huh:

...I decided to buy Finnegans Wake. Not having read any of it before, I thought it might be easier going than Ulysses. Dear God! QUOTE]

I wish sheffield forum had a FB-style 'like' button!

I enjoyed Portrait of the Artist. I tried several times to read Ulysses, but never got that far to be honest. Then I made my big mistake...

...I decided to buy Finnegans Wake. Not having read any of it before, I thought it might be easier going than Ulysses. Dear God!

"As the lion in our teargarten remembers the nenuphars of his Nile (shall Ariuz forget Arioun or Boghas the baregams of the Marmarazalles from Marmeniere?) it may be, tots wearsense full a naggin in twentyg have sigilposted what in our brievingbust, the besieged bedreamt him stil and solely of those lililiths undeveiled which had undone him, gone for age, and knew not the watchful treachers at his wake, and theirs to stay. Fooi, fooi, chamermissies! Zeepyzoepy, larcenlads! Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! It may be, we moest ons hasten selves te declareer it, that he reglimmed? presaw?" :huh:

Maybe the fact that it took JJ 17 years to write Finnegans Wake should have hinted at how long it was going to take you/anyone to read it. Maybe he should have lain off the Meths or maybe we should take to it when reading the book - that way it could all start to make sense. Ever read A Clockwork Orange? No? Steer clear, droog! It's like digging up daisy roots. ;)

The sodding Davinci Code. I want the couple of hours of my life back that it took to realise it was appalling rubbish and skim read to the end just so I could satisfy myself that it really was as bad as I thought.

The Information and Times Arrow by Martin Amis. Dreadful self indulgent clap-trap.

One of the very few I've actually given up on was The Silmarillion. I'm not saying it deserves throwing out of the window as I gave up not far into it.

The Dice Man - hated it, a horrible, nasty book which I would gladly set on fire. I've no idea why it has attained such a cult status. A nasty little rape fantasy.

Interview with a Vampire. Another "cult" novel which was turgid and dreary.