Sign in to follow this  

Our differences of (religious) opinion ...

Why is it such a cause of conflict !?

It always has been.

It seems from reading the other thread that some people are annoyed that Religious people can dish out their World view, but do not like to listen to others?

Personally I have an issue with people telling me that even if I live a moral life, I am still a bad person because I do not believe in God.

I feel Religious people are the most elitist group of people. Simply because of their belief that only they, are going to heaven and the rest of us heathens are destined to something really bad. For me the hatred being spewed from many religious institutions moves religion in to the category of a danger to society. Especially trying to drive a wedge between gays and the religious.

And then they accuse no Religious people of intolerance to their views. Never met a atheist who goes and knocks on the doors of people telling them not to believe in God.

There I a deep hypocrisy in these things.

So long as Religion does not try to force it's way in to my life, i have no problem with it.

Back2Basics.....

Funny, I think scientists are good at dishing out their world view and don't like to listen to others as well.... ;) Or politicians, or conspiracy theorists....

And there are a fair number of scientists who waste no time in the media having a good go at people who do believe in God or spiritual matters.

I think it's inevitable when you get passionate people that you will get dispute.

Swift satirised it in Gulliver's Travels - the people who were at war because they couldn't agree on which end of a boiled egg to break.

I don't necessarily thin it's just religious people though.

Joe

Also religious people often compare apples and oranges to make their point.

joey you know very well that science is backed up by facts, where religion never will be. Science is not, and will never be a World view. Science is a methodology.

This thread is about Religion not science, i have seen you pull people up for doing just what you have done.

I think people often have a problem with foreign terminology.

To illustrate this point, imagine if an English man visited his Spanish friend, at his home in Spain. This Spanish man, lived on a farm, and one day the two friends were out walking and they saw a small fluffy creature with a bobbley tail and 2 big ears.

The English man said "look, a rabbit".

His Spanish friend at once replied "no, that's a conejo*".

And they argued happily ever after over who was right ...

All the while the rabbit sat there, and was just the same old rabbit.

What I'm trying to say here, is that at our deepest level, surely we are all made out of the same stuff of the universe. What we believe to be, whatever labels we choose, whatever we feel an affinity for, it surely doesn't change the ulitimate (unspoken) reality of what and who we really are.

The same laws of existance (e.g. gravity, we all are born, we will all die) apply to us all.

When someone says "I'm a <whatever label>", it's not really what they are, it's just what they fancy themselves to be, what they like to call themselves.

Surely, we are just what we are?

*conejo is Spanish for rabbit.

religion is a horrible thing and can also be a comfort blanket for people. It is people who take religion for their own ends who cause the problems. I cannot abide people who will not listen to other people's opinions/open to points contrary to their beliefs.