Sheffield Gun Crime.

Add to boot that he had produced a pistol to a womans head in the street months before the Dunblane incident. Hamilton should have had his license revoked long before then. Why didn't he? Because he was friends with the chief inspector.

i believe he was a freemason ,also the two pc ,s who interviewed hamilton put in their report that in their opinion hamilton should not be allowed to own guns .he had also been caught in possession of two illegal rifles. the laws that were in place to prevent people like hamilton to own guns was not adhered to, oh and the chief inspector took early retirement on full pension of course.

What may, however, be achievable in the very long term (by instituting and increasing the scope of these bans) is an end to private companies manufacturing and supplying arms and ammunition. So that only the armies themselves would be responsible for building, managing and securing their own arms.

As a tax payer you'd be happy to foot the multi billion pound investment it would take to run such an operation? Come on be serious, there's practicaly a national revolt when petrol prices increase by a couple of pence.

Guns be it private or military are big business, whether an army produced it's own or not it WOULD still export them for the simple reason it pays. When these weapons are then sold on and filtered down the would still find their way onto the streets.

Like drugs it is virtually impossible to stop the ILLEGAL in flux of weapons into any country, and it is the illegal guns that are responsible for the increase in gun crime.

Example, my weapons are stored in what is best described as a safe, the house is fully loaded with cctv and an alarm linked to the police. Whenever an incident occours on the street or indeed the surrounding area there are within five minutes two armed response vehicles parked either end of the road. Saturday and Sunday my weapons are taken to a secure club where they are used for recreational purposes. Then locked back in the safe. As is the case with the thousands of other gun owners I have ever met. What harm are my weapons or those of friends and colleagues posing. NONE.

i believe he was a freemason ,also the two pc ,s who interviewed hamilton put in their report that in their opinion hamilton should not be allowed to own guns .he had also been caught in possession of two illegal rifles. the laws that were in place to prevent people like hamilton to own guns was not adhered to, oh and the chief inspector took early retirement on full pension of course.

Exactly, yet as is always the case it's the little man, in this case we the gun owners that take the fall, then it fuels the do gooders who then in turn paint all gun owners as Ramboesque mad men just waiting for an excuse to go out and massacre someone.

if you go to a country fair there is a lot of people there with guns , taking part in clay pigeon shoots etc you usually see a couple of special constables walking round .because all in all the shooting fraternity are a law abiding bunch .how many police do you see at a football match trying to keep order

pubs told not to open in case a drink fuelled battle between supporters takes place

Meanwhile, as the law-abiding gun-owners have to suffer, the villains just laugh it off and carry on regardless. So many police are involved in chasing up decent people that there aren't enough reources left to really clamp down on the thugs.Plus, it's not just guns, in my view.

.Plus, it's not just guns, in my view.

Sense at last. I pose this question, how many sharp steak knives, cooks knives etc does each member of this forum have in their kitchen? Next time your cutting up your meat keep in mind your kitchen knife is far easier for a criminal to get hold of than my gun.

It's a very old saying and I've probably said it before, but it's still very true. A gun itself is not dangerous, it's the person holding it that you have to be careful of.

It's a very old saying and I've probably said it before, but it's still very true. A gun itself is not dangerous, it's the person holding it that you have to be careful of.

Indeed. I earlier quoted the US bumper sticker that says: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Some Forummers objected (do-gooders who need a life as ever) but it's very true. The gun may be the tool used, but it's just a means to an end, as would be a knife, club, sword, screwdriver, baseball bat, poison, or a poke in the eye with a sharp pencil. Was there no murder or armed robbery before guns were invented? If the answer is yes, I’ll support a total ban.

We can't ban everything, and we can't fully control illegal trafficking of firearms, or other weapons, to the criminal underworld. All the government did with the Dunblane ban was punish the innocent FAC holders for a criminal failure by the Strathclyde Police.

What we can do is hang the scrotes that use guns illegally.

Some Forummers objected (do-gooders who need a life as ever) but it's very true. The gun may be the tool used, but it's just a means to an end, as would be a knife, club, sword, screwdriver, baseball bat, poison, or a poke in the eye with a sharp pencil. Was there no murder or armed robbery before guns were invented? If the answer is yes, I’ll support a total ban.

Well. If someone were intent on doing others harm (as a health service worker) I'd much prefer that they had one of those other things you mentioned rather than a gun.

Indeed. I earlier quoted the US bumper sticker that says: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Absolutely. I have a sporting thermo-nuclear device in my shed which I use at my local A-bomb club as a responsible adult. Then you get these idiots who go around dropping them on people...

Get a grip mate. Guns were invented as a means of killing people, and they do a bleeding good job of it. As far as I see it, the more readily people have access to guns, the more likely they are to use them, in any context: a responsible sporting gun owner today may become a cuckold husband with a shotgun tomorrow.

Absolutely. I have a sporting thermo-nuclear device in my shed which I use at my local A-bomb club as a responsible adult. Then you get these idiots who go around dropping them on people...

Get a grip mate. Guns were invented as a means of killing people, and they do a bleeding good job of it. As far as I see it, the more readily people have access to guns, the more likely they are to use them, in any context: a responsible sporting gun owner today may become a cuckold husband with a shotgun tomorrow.

Do you react in such an alarmist fashion to everything?

How many people have been seriously injured or killed in this country in the last 5 years by legally held firearms? Sod all.

How many people have been seriously injured or killed as the result of fights involving no weapons at all? Too many.

You're dealing with such a tiny, tiny number of deaths from legally held firearms that your case just doesn't make sense.