Speed Vans - Do they Flash and Which Way?

Originally posted by Rob_1

The van on the parkway was occasionally on the verge after the manor park turn off with the rear doors open, it had to be checking oncoming traffic as the road bends right away from the van as you pass. It wouldn't flash as you can't flash into someone's eyes!

Rob, im familiar with that bad boy on the parkway. I've seen it flash numerous times once a speeding car has past it (when im driving the other way). Its usually out after dark making it pretty easy to see!

Originally posted by JohnnyBoi

I have seen speed cameras flash once the vehicle passes them taking a picture of their back registration plate, but I was unsure whether speed van cameras that are set up were used any differently. Anyone else have any information?

The vans do not flash - they record 0.5 secs IIRC on video tape of you moving and it´s used along with the radar data in court should you contest it...