Speed Vans - Do they Flash and Which Way?

I was driving through Maltby at night and doing around 38 in a 30 zone. I'm not a maniac speeder. There was a speed van parked and hidden at the side of a petrol station and a camera was sat so many feet in front of it out on the pavement. I am positive that the camera didnt flash and i slowed down before it, but i am extremely worried that i didnt slow down quick enough therefore probably getting a fine and points. I really am hoping that they usually do flash (at night) to record speeders and hopefully take you from the back so you have to speed through the camera to be caught. Does anyone have any information on the cameras used by speed vans?

I've seen them being used on the Parkway at night, they flash once the car has passed them, like a Gatso i guess.

I have seen speed cameras flash once the vehicle passes them taking a picture of their back registration plate, but I was unsure whether speed van cameras that are set up were used any differently. Anyone else have any information?

They only catch you if it flashes you, in your case you havent been caught, theres always next time lol

How can they flash once you've passed, as they're pointing towards you and thus can't see your rear number plate?

Not being smart here, it's a matter of some interest to me too. There's one that lurks on Chesterfield Road up near the Meadowhead roundabout!

I wondered that as well, but they only take your rear. You have to speed through them. On normal speed cameras, you have to be over the limit going past the camera. I was wondering if slowing down before the camera was still okay with a van. It definately didnt flash.

Had a look on the internet, the type of camera we're talking about here is called a 'mini gatso'. We all know how its big brother works!

It says they use a radar to record speeding vehicles? Does that mean it would flash? Says its like a normal gatso which i know nothing about.

Yep, Gatso uses radar to measure your speed once you pass the camera. Believe me, you'll know it if you get flashed (twice). Id say its pretty unlikely that you'll get a ticket landing on your door mat

It definately wasnt two flashes in a row. Fingers crossed!

Well just wait 14 days for a NIP.

If it does not appear, just forget about it.

they dont always flash depends in they have set it up foward or rear facing, the one at meadowhead is normally rear facing but sometimes the one on the parkway is foward facing so it has got you before you see it. Type south yorkshire safety cameras into google and there website says where they are.