Anyone remember the olivers from attercliffe

He sold it to "Modern Meat Markets of Mexborough" who then possibly sold it on to Mr Bulloss.

My Mum had a shop next to Oliver's, it was called The Little Wonder. It went on a compulsory purchase order along with the whole row. They were to the left opposite the baths on that end of Newhall Road. We used to have pork sarnies at about 9 and I think they were from Olivers.

There were houses behind some of the shops, one room affairs, the people were really poor, considering we lived in a modern 3 bed semi in Grenoside it was a culture shock but I remember a kid I befriended was as good a mate as any I had in Greno. I used to watch the Bananasplits on their telly on Saturday mornings. Then at 12.30 my Dad would walk from Firth Browns to the chippy on the corner of Newhall Road then after we'd eaten we'd catch a football special to Hillsborough to watch Wednesday. Happy days.

If you go into the restrauant in the House of Fraser in Meadowhall they have got a good picture of one of the Oliver brother's outside his shop brought back memories of when my mother used to go in

My mother, now deceased, used to "go out with" Herbert Oliver of the butcher family in the early thirtiea. Her name wa Ivy Wright of Brompton Road, Attercliffe.

@Dinnerlady.I shall go and have a look. Thank you! :)

@1066 I think Herbert Oliver is/was Grandpa's cousin. I shall ask my dad next time I see him. Such a shame we can't ask many of the Oliver's "butchers" as there is only Bernard still alive on my side of the family.

Would this be the same Olivers who had a butchers selling mainly frozen meat on Ecclesall Road at the site now occupied by Nonna's?

I am unsure if they were related to my "Oliver's" at the moment. If it's the same one's I'm thinking he's on Sharrowvale Road now. I'll try to find out.

Harry, John Mick and Peter are sons of Harold who worked with his brothers Edwin, Ernest, Dick and Harry for their father Edward Oliver, my grandfather. Edwards other sons George and Ted also owned shops in Attercliffe opposite Banners and the Attercliffe Palace. Another son Alf (also mentioned in this thread) worked for Edward's brother Ernest in the shop on Staniforth Rd. Ted had a son Teddy and a grandson Michael who eventually owned the shop on Eccleshall Road. There is a whole tribe of Olivers and their families although the only sibling still alive is Gladys, the youngest daughter of Edward. George's grandson David has a website for family information.

How interesting. Our shop belonging to my grandfather George aka Edwin Oliver (as I mentioned earlier) was 10-12 Staniforth Road. They were all related in some way weren't they. I have heard mention of Alf before as he worked in my Grandfather's shop.

---------- Post added 16-01-2013 at 22:25 ----------

Ps the shop on Staniforth Rd was not run by" Ernest", it was Edwin (aka GEo) my grandfather who worked along side his brother Bernard.Taking it back to the 1920's to early 30's Harold (aka Harry) my great grandfather. :)

Hi

New to site so cant Pm

But I believe that I maybe related to user 1066 as my granddad George Andrew Wright was born on Hammerton Street and his father was William

please PM to discuss

as a lad I used to live on the cliff used to go to olivers buchers across from banners, on a Saturday for bacon bones and any free bones for the dog which the dog never got, we put them all in a pan with lentills for a boil up: :gag:

as a lad I used to live on the cliff used to go to olivers buchers across from banners, on a Saturday for bacon bones and any free bones for the dog which the dog never got, we put them all in a pan with lentills for a boil up: :gag:

think you was spoilt raymondo.but boil up was really nice on top of chips from ainsleys eh pal.?