• Arbourthorne
    • Burngreave
    • Parson Cross
    • Wincobank
    • Manor Park
    • Darnall
    • Woodthorpe
    • City Centre

Buses are awful things and I'm so glad I never have to catch one again! They're OK when you're a kid for getting into town, but they're so unreliable and the bus drivers are so rude and ignorant, in general anyway. I posted in another thread about this time a few years back coming up Ecclesall Road. A woman got on and only had £20 note, the driver couldn't change it, so she asked if she could nip to a nearby shop and get some change. The driver agreed, she ran off to get it, and the driver set off!

Hey you!! Can't do much right can yer tonight, t020?? My dad's a bus driver so don't be like that!! :wink: Nah, he really is a bus driver, but he's a nice bus driver. Doesn't agree with the things most bus drivers do. Again it's only a minority.

Chloé

Hello Mr Foot, say hello to Mr Mouth! From my experience though, it was more like the majority that were rude, though there were a few nice ones.

Let's put it this way.. look at what bus drivers have to put up with. Crap wages, cramped conditions (IMPOV) Have you seen the stickers on buses lately? The ones about working without fear of assault or intimidation?? That's ridiculous!! Also, while we're on the topic.. I think the strike for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday is now OFF. Anyone else heard anything? Unfortunately, my dad works late shifts so I don't really get much chance to ask questions that I actually should!

Chloé

The reason theres more crime on the manor is the kids arent rich enough to buy the drugs to pass the time in which they cannot do a thing, whereas on the rich estates youve got people under 14 addicted to weed but they can afford it, also on the richer estates heavier drugs are taken more reguarly its just not heard off, or mentioned. On the richer estates there are more things for kids to do, more money for them to spend, enough money to buy drugs to pass the time.

Or there's the fact the yobs parent's couldn't give a monkies themselves.

And yes I agree with earlier posters that its only a minority that gives areas like Manor Park a bad name, but its a visible and vocal minority, that unfortunately spoil it for the rest.

Originally posted by t020

Well, as long as you're happy who cares. I much prefer it round here though. Better schools, bigger gardens, more parks, more woods, near peak district, nicer houses, tree lined roads, little graffiti, less crime, friendly neighbours, etc etc. Each to their own.

More congestion, no garages, ridiculously overpriced terraced houses, litter strewing the streets from students.

Yes I used to live there.

No I wouldn't again.

But it is better than the Manor.

Originally posted by monkjack

More congestion, no garages, ridiculously overpriced terraced houses, litter strewing the streets from students.

Yes I used to live there.

No I wouldn't again.

But it is better than the Manor.

Once again, you're talking about Ecclesall ROAD, not Ecclesall. Ecclesall Road is NOT an area. It is a road with shops, pubs, etc on where a lot of students live, which if you follow up another 3 miles or so, leads you to Ecclesall the area, where there are plenty of garages, few terraced houses (mainly detached and semis), barely any litter, and no students other than those living with parents. I suggest you get your facts straight before spouting bulls**t like that. To again use an analogy used here before, is London Road in London? Is Manchester Road in Manchester? So why do you think Ecclesall Road is Ecclesall? Its not until you get up to Ecclesall Road SOUTH, which is miles up the road, that you are even getting near to Ecclesall, which you will find does not suffer from any of the things mentioned in your post.

So you're talking about Ecclesall Road South. Most people I speak to would consider Broomsgrove road area to be what would spring to mind when you think of Ecclesall.

And you can't argue that house prices there are ridiculously overvalued, but that will probably continue for a long time, and that traffic is a nightmare compared to a non city location.

Originally posted by monkjack

So you're talking about Ecclesall Road South. Most people I speak to would consider Broomsgrove road area to be what would spring to mind when you think of Ecclesall.

And you can't argue that house prices there are ridiculously overvalued, but that will probably continue for a long time, and that traffic is a nightmare compared to a non city location.

Erm, no, I think you will find most people who know the city well enough will know that Ecclesall is a suburb on the south westerly outskirts of the city, between Dore and Fulwood. Broomsgrove Road area is not what most people would consider to be Ecclesall, its what people who assume Ecclesall is next to Ecclesall Road would think. Easy mistake, but if you think thats Ecclesall, you're very, very wrong. Carry on up Ecclesall Road and then Ecclesall Road South and you might eventually reach Ecclesall. End of.

To whoever sported the insanely ridiculous remark about 'posh kids being addicted to weed', there are some fundamental errors that have been made. Numero uno, weed contains no addictive substances - you can't get hooked on it - but you can get hooked on the tobacco that many people lace it with.

Also, I think it'd be a fair guess to suggest that much of the crime in places like Manor Park and Burngreave (definitely) is drug-related. So, if Ecclesall etc. has the drug problem, then it should coincide with, and therefore have the crime problem. So by contradiction, you've made an invalid point and embarassed yourself to an extent.

I don't think you can class an area as particularly bad, but more the people within it. For instance, there are some nice big houses on Prince of Wales Road - but the people who live in them have forced it into a run-down and crime-ridden area.

I know I'm happy in South-West Sheffield, thank you very much.

PS. I've got 12 empty garages up my road. My road is populated mostly by 60+, as I look out of my window, I see NO litter, just leaves on the roadside and wait...I've not heard a car go down my road in the last 30 or so minutes - even though I live on a road that conjoins the arterial roads of Ecclesall and Abbeydale Road.

Thanks for reading,

Rican

Originally posted by Rican

To whoever sported the insanely ridiculous remark about 'posh kids being addicted to weed', there are some fundamental errors that have been made. Numero uno, weed contains no addictive substances - you can't get hooked on it - but you can get hooked on the tobacco that many people lace it with.

Also, I think it'd be a fair guess to suggest that much of the crime in places like Manor Park and Burngreave (definitely) is drug-related. So, if Ecclesall etc. has the drug problem, then it should coincide with, and therefore have the crime problem. So by contradiction, you've made an invalid point and embarassed yourself to an extent.

I don't think you can class an area as particularly bad, but more the people within it. For instance, there are some nice big houses on Prince of Wales Road - but the people who live in them have forced it into a run-down and crime-ridden area.

I know I'm happy in South-West Sheffield, thank you very much.

PS. I've got 12 empty garages up my road. My road is populated mostly by 60+, as I look out of my window, I see NO litter, just leaves on the roadside and wait...I've not heard a car go down my road in the last 30 or so minutes - even though I live on a road that conjoins the arterial roads of Ecclesall and Abbeydale Road.

Thanks for reading,

Rican

Yes. It seems some people are trying to make out Ecclesall and other areas to be as bad as other areas in Sheffield, probably out of jealousy, or just looking for an argument, who knows. What I do know is that Ecclesall Rd is NOT Ecclesall, it simply leads to it. I agree with you that its not the area itself, its the people within it. Thats why a 3 bed semi would cost hundreds of thousands in South West Sheffield, and about half as much and less in other parts. The actual house itself is pretty much the same, but people are prepared to pay more to avoid the trouble makers such as the druggies. Well, that and the fact that we're closer to the Peak district, have tree lined roads, have several large parks and woods, etc etc.

So what is the name of the area of Ecclesall Road where the students live? Sharrow is the nearest place according to Ordnance Survey.

The 'proper' suburb of Ecclesall, which T020 said, is miles away, beyond Greystones and Brincliffe.