• Burngreave
    • Parson Cross
    • Wincobank
    • Manor Park
    • Darnall
    • Woodthorpe
    • City Centre

Originally posted by "maxt"

Chris, I guess you mean the Upper Allen, Leicester Walk and Daisy Bank low rise flats. They are to be pulled down once everybody has been re-housed and replaced with housing similar to that on the other side of Netherthorpe Road. (The houses are to replaced not the people)

I'm glad to see there's a plan for the area. I'll have to get myself into town and see what they're thinking...

Originally posted by "maxt"

They have never been particulary attractive and I've often thought that architects should be required to live in their 'designs' before they are released to normal people.

I rather like the implication there that architects aren't normal people :D Unfortunately, bad buildings arise as a result of a much wider range of issues (and people) than just the architect - if it was just the architect then it'd be an easier problem to solve. I agree that there are many lousy buildings in Sheffield though and know what it's like to feel you've had a building foistered on you - it's wrong and there should be practical ways for the people who have to live with buildings to influence them more.

Originally posted by "The Cycleracer"

Chris have you been to Pitsmoor lately.

Its like a ghost town no more than a dozen people in the whole area.

Its due for demolishion.

I'm not that familiar with where one area starts and another stops round there. Also, it is nearly two years since I was working round there so, assuming I had got the name correct, there is every chance it's changed since then.

Which bit exactly is due for demolition?

Woodside is being demolished.

Chris the areas housing consists of maisonettes and are looked upon as slums, rightly so, but someone mentioned that the designers of these maisonettes should live in them before putting folk into them.

What you have got to remember is that estate was built in 1963 and housed the familys that lived in the back to back houses that dominated the area before it and the big slum clearance from Fowler St, Woodside lane made it possible for them to have decent housing.

It was a pleasure to live in that area during the 60s, as we had a proper bath,hot water, central heating and clean surroundings.

It was paradise in comparison to what we had before and the area where the slums stood on Stanley works field became a large open space to play on.

Now Woodside is in the same position again, but the designers don,t have a problem rebuilding it to 21st century standards, because the real reason for not rebuilding on the present Pitsmoor is because of the people of today, the lack of respect for people, property and abuse.

Everyone has opinions about todays society being worse than it used to be but I am confident in saying that it is, having lived in the 1960s behavior from children in todays society is different from when i was a child, because parents are different and so on which links with why they will not rebuild Pitsmoor.

Shame really because there is people out there wanting decent housing who will respect there surroundings, but put in 1 bad egg and they end up putting the area back into decline.

Originally posted by "Classic Rock"

What Pub was it?

Tuxedoblue

Didn't it used to be called the Big Gun or Cross Gun before Tuxedobule? I've noticed it is shut down now.

So it has been said Bradway has a better community spirit and is safer to walk through in night than Lowedges and all people of the Manor are YOBS and the LOWEST SCUMMIEST ppl ever. I STRONGLY DISAGREE !

I have 2 granmothers, one from Lowedges and the other Bradway, the one who lives on Lowedges is down to earth and gets on with most people, the one from Bradway criticising everything, ok its their personality but whilst walking through Bradway ive never had n "alrate" or "hello" from people i dont know but they have looked down on me for being a teenager, in Lowedges ive had loads of people say "alrate" "hello" and "hows it goin".

Ok the manor, i agree it has some people lower than dirt, not many though only a handful. Its gets a bad rep from the ones who are not wanted on their own estate whereas most of the people who live there are down to earth, friendly and do not deserve to be catagorised.

The reason theres more crime on the manor is the kids arent rich enough to buy the drugs to pass the time in which they cannot do a thing, whereas on the rich estates youve got people under 14 addicted to weed but they can afford it, also on the richer estates heavier drugs are taken more reguarly its just not heard off, or mentioned. On the richer estates there are more things for kids to do, more money for them to spend, enough money to buy drugs to pass the time.

You forgot Park Hill on that list. My 27 years of experience with that place leads me to recommend in the worse place to live in Sheffield.

Funny thing is, you probably would get many people on here from Park Hill dissing the place -- they'd be too scared to be seen taking a computer in their flat because the next day they'd probably have been robbed.

Just prefer to live somewhere away from crime, drugs, muggers, drunks, scrubbers!!!

Originally posted by "halevan"

Just prefer to live somewhere away from crime, drugs, muggers, drunks, scrubbers!!!

The moon? :wink:

Bit of a leftfield input - I am covering the Manor area for the breeding bird atlas

http://www.sbsg.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/atlas_2003_intro.html

I was surprised after all I'd heard to find that there is an amazing amount of green space, even in what is supposed to be a core urban area.

It's an interesting place to wander round at dawn, though I take my cheaper binoculars :)

As well as singing Meadow Pipit and Stock Dove, at the ruined Manor itself there is at least one Whitethroat territory, and around the old barns and associated scrapyards (Manor Oaks?) are the only Swallows I have seen in the inner city. None of these are what you would call core urban species.

Compared to what I've seen in other cities, Sheffield's 'worst area' looks like a green and pleasant land.

There's a hell of a lot of boarded-up houses though.

Baublebag... I love you!! LOL. How true you are my friend!! Do you mean the fields around where St Oswalds school is?? If so it's called Manor Oaks Farm, used to house pigs, geese, sheep, but then something happened and it only has horse now. Infact, I can see it through my window right now! I've never really noticed the birds round here, well, except the few that wake me up in the morning fair enough!

There are a fair few houses boarded up round here, but that seems to be sorting out now! We also have the "Power Rangers" (as they're known round here) Street Rangers to you lot, who are really awesome getting things sorted for the kids to do in the holidays, checking on your house if your alarm goes off and walking round the streets to see if everything is OK. I think Dore and Ecclesall could do with a few Power Rangers!

Chloé