• Burngreave
    • Parson Cross
    • Wincobank
    • Manor Park
    • Darnall
    • Woodthorpe
    • City Centre

Hi everyone,

just felt I had to throw something into this debate, as it apears to be getting a little heated, it's obviously a subject thats close to peoples hearts.

I lived on Lowedges for a while, then recently moved up the road to Bradway and I couldn't beleive how friendlier people were. It's like a small village, everybody says hello to each other when passing in the street which is something I wouldn't have dreamed of on Lowedges.

I would have to completely disagree that these areas are soleless, having not lived on any of the estates mentioned I can't really comment, but with out question Bradway has a much bigger community spirit than Lowedges/Batemoor where I lived previously - plus I feel safe going out after dark too!

I had a pub in Sharrow and in the 18 months I lived there I experienced five broken windows, an arson attack, a rape in the car park, I was personally assaulted, several thefts from the premises, my car scratched, another car I had was broken into and constantly had smashed windows and it was an uphill fight to keep drugs off the premises.

I know that pubs attract a certain amount of trouble from time to time but this was continual. We even had a police raid once with a full SWAT team searching for drugs. Thankfully there weren't any there.

I think Sharrow is the worst part of Sheffield.

Forgot to mention that Sharrow has the highest number of burglaries in Sheffield and after the Manor has one of the highest unemployment rates.

Originally posted by "Classic Rock"

I had a pub in Sharrow and in the 18 months I lived there I experienced five broken windows, an arson attack, a rape in the car park, I was personally assaulted, several thefts from the premises, my car scratched, another car I had was broken into and constantly had smashed windows and it was an uphill fight to keep drugs off the premises.

I know that pubs attract a certain amount of trouble from time to time but this was continual. We even had a police raid once with a full SWAT team searching for drugs. Thankfully there weren't any there.

I think Sharrow is the worst part of Sheffield.

Forgot to mention that Sharrow has the highest number of burglaries in Sheffield and after the Manor has one of the highest unemployment rates.

agreed that sharrow is a very, very bad area.

What Pub was it?

Classic Rock :P:lol:

i lived in sharrow a little while and thought it was ok. leafy and central, i've lived in worse places. but i didn't feel safe there i guess, not walking home after dark. i imagine thats what you mean by worst area though, right? where you could feel safe and not get beaten up or harrassed, or where there isnt too much graffiti or drugs, or where there isnt gangs of lads hanging about because theyve nothing better to do.

i'd have said pitsmoor was the worst area because its kind of scary. i dont know about working class or snobby, i dont care about class difference, my only thought is how safe you are and whether theres good transport links to elsewhere, and whether or not you see greenery out the window. i wouldnt mind living in dore, though i'd have to buy a bike i suppose! it'd be a bit boring. i like to live close to the action.

its all subjective though isnt it, it depends on what you look for. t020, what do you look for in an area?

i tell you what i don't look for in an area...i moved to london for a little while but hated it so much i left after only 2 months. i hate arrogance, people just walking right across you or shoving onto a train before you, not letting you past, always in more of a hurry than you, motorists not stopping when youre waiting at a zebra crossing, that sort of thing. i lived in an unpretentious, working class area (canning town) and worked on oxford street, but people weren't friendly or considerate. nowheres perfect, i know, but i've never found such rudeness to quite such a level anywhere outside of london, and i've lived in a lot of places in the u.k.

sorry, i should've said hi, i'm new. hope it's ok me just posting like this.

Welcome to the forum dead_poet, happy posting :)

I used to work in Fir Vale (think I'm right to say that's roughly the same area as Pitsmoor?) opposite the new Fir Vale School. I'm proud of the people I worked for that they put their faith into an area that suffers a poor reputation (they only moved there 2 1/2 years ago). I agree that I wouldn't have liked to have wandered round the area late at night, though on the occasions I worked late (1am a few times and once to 5am) I wouldn't say I felt particularly unsafe locking up and leaving. Don't know how different I'd feel working further from the main road though.

Something else - stray off the main road (Barnsley Road?) a bit and you're often into some very attractive housing. In terms of their material qualities a lot of these areas are appealling. They just need managing and maintaining better but until the social problems in these areas are sorted (and in all cases it is a minority causing the majority of the trouble) this is unlikely to have the desired effect (ie., it'll just give the troublemakers newer buildings to destroy).

At least Pitsmoor is populated. Far scarier in my mind is the estate on the red light district side of Netherthorpe Road. The area seems to be practically deserted - many of the ground floor flats boarded up and others seemingly lacking curtains and furniture (and occupants?). Does the council have something in mind for these? Despite it being a monumentally ugly area the feeling of unease you get when walking through there would be mitigated a bit if there were more people there, but even during the day it seems to be only populated with prostitutes. It is unfortunate that the area is so neglected as the area on the other side of Netherthorpe Road feels safe and looks far more appealling.

Chris, I guess you mean the Upper Allen, Leicester Walk and Daisy Bank low rise flats. They are to be pulled down once everybody has been re-housed and replaced with housing similar to that on the other side of Netherthorpe Road. (The houses are to replaced not the people)

They have never been particulary attractive and I've often thought that architects should be required to live in their 'designs' before they are released to normal people.

Chris have you been to Pitsmoor lately.

Its like a ghost town no more than a dozen people in the whole area.

Its due for demolishion.

Has anyone else spotted the obvious deception brought about by transposing the syllables of Mordor into Dore Moor. I blame the council.