BT installing Fiber Optic

BT infinity looks good with up to 10Mb upload speeds!

The cable service I get around S2 varies a lot in speed throughout the day and really drops off in the evening.

Isn't this part of Mr. Browns plans for the olympics, before he left he said something about everyone getting high speed broadband

Westfield's supposedly set for the end of December 2010 to be enabled.. 40meg down, 10 meg up...

BT infinity looks good with up to 10Mb upload speeds!

What would you want to upload that requires that kind of bandwidth ?

hope something gets sorted for walkley area asap, am not in a cabled area and am with bt total broadband at moment and only get 2mb up at moment 2.5 at a push, there aint been no digging on my road yet though (compton street)

It's only FTTC so it's not nearly as much digging as there was when cable was introduced as BT already have copper into everyone's homes. It should level the playing field with Virgin somewhat and extend the reach of 20Mb+ but it wont be revolutionary, it's not as if anyone's going to stump up to put fibre in the home any time soon.

Don't mean to teach anyone to suck eggs, but it's all about laying the fibre from the exchange to the DSLAMs (green boxes) that you see on the street. I say green boxes, but i think the new boxes will be grey?

The last leg from the DSLAMs to the premises (via your telegraph pole) will still be copper, but overall it will increase your download/upload speed.

The rollout is a massive project and will take a few years, if you know which Telephone Exchange you're fed by, I think there's a timetable on BT's main website for when they exchanges are able to fully offer the new "quicker" service.

Let's not promote BT any more eh? Digital Region is the way to go: http://www.digitalregion.co.uk/ and hopefully once this has been rolled out all over SY then we can finally cut the BT strings and be done with them forever !

Edited by Dave650
nevermind

Put my phone number in the checker on that page and it reckons its in my area by 31 December with estimates of 19.6Mb download and 9.5Mb upload. Nice :)

Put my phone number in the checker on that page and it reckons its in my area by 31 December with estimates of 19.6Mb download and 9.5Mb upload. Nice :)

If you get anywhere near either of those speeds (assuming you don't live in the exchange) I'll eat my hat.

If you get anywhere near either of those speeds (assuming you don't live in the exchange) I'll eat my hat.

Get ready to eat your hat.. It's not from the exchange it's from the street cabinet. Do you actually know how it works!?

It's no different to VM they have "Hubs" which are the exchanges. I rock 50MB down and 5MB up at the moment :)