BT installing Fiber Optic

watch out folks, BT are installing fiber Optic in Sheffield in the very short future, and HAVE to by law to provide their fiber to the competition woo hoo

proper broadband for non virgin customers very very soon

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29017

As long as I can get it with anyone other than the pile of uselessness that is BT I might be interested. Will have a read up on it!

Are they actually laying the cables, that will take ages and cost a fortune, I assumed they would just share Virgin/Telewest cables.

And I wouldn't believe everything they say, didn't they get reprimanded by the advertising standards people about their internet claims ?

They got caught out on the 'up to 20mb' thing which was only true if you lived within 100 yards of an exchange. BT are indeed laying their own fibre. Virgin's fibre is private infrastructure and is heavily loaded as it is!

Still no news on when BT's cable will go live though :(

Are you sure? :suspect:

Last I heard we were one of the last places on the list for this, because of the Digital Region broadband in South Yorkshire (which is similar, but not BT).

Surely it will take them years to lay the cables, it did Telewest ?

I know Mosborough is getting it (December 2010) as is Wadsley Bridge. (March 2011 I believe)

Seeing as the link the OP gave was to the random BT Infinity page can you please substantiate your claim? I have access to a rollout llist and it's not all of Sheff at the oment.

Are you sure? :suspect:

Last I heard we were one of the last places on the list for this, because of the Digital Region broadband in South Yorkshire (which is similar, but not BT).

Yes thats rolling out in my part of S2 in 2012. It's already active i some parts. It's council driven so don't expect any rush :roll::roll:

Surely it will take them years to lay the cables, it did Telewest ?

They've been working on it for years already.

Hmm I know some areas are getting covered, Loxley road has been dug up yet again (when will the council re-surface it?) and new trunking laid, unless it was trunking for Digital Region? Then again I thought DR was pretty much for businesses only and there aren't many businesses up this way to warrant laying fibre!

A lot of the digging up around Loxley etc has the same signs on it as recent works in town - something about "transfoming digital South Yorkshire", no BT logo in sight.

If you look closely enough you will see that the cables have already been laid on;

Bolehill Road, Walkley Bank Road and today they are being laid on Walkley Lane and Oldfield Road.