Virgin Media - Fibre Optic Cabled Areas

Unfortunately, my experience is that Virgin are quite happy to allow their network to become oversubscribed to an extent where their infrastucture will be perpetually over-capacity 24/7, and then continue to charge their customers for a service which they're not getting, whilst fobbing them off in order to avoid paying the necessary costs to actually provide that service.

That's something you get with the internet whoever you're with. ADSL's contention ratio is generally 50:1 so you'll be sharing that line with 49 others. If 45 of those are 5 person student houses all with torrents on the go you're going to be screwed if you've got ADSL or cable. The only way you'll get a better contention ratio would be by going with a less popular provider (I had Bulldog for years which was brilliant except for the customer service) or a business connection which will cost much more.

That's something you get with the internet whoever you're with. ADSL's contention ratio is generally 50:1 so you'll be sharing that line with 49 others. If 45 of those are 5 person student houses all with torrents on the go you're going to be screwed if you've got ADSL or cable. The only way you'll get a better contention ratio would be by going with a less popular provider (I had Bulldog for years which was brilliant except for the customer service) or a business connection which will cost much more.

Then the provider should either be installing new infrastructure, so that the contention ratio is lowered, or they should be refunding their customers. I recognise that this is neither legally required nor required by the regulator. But if I went in to a shop and handed over some money for a packet of biscuits, and the shopkeeper handed me a single biscuit because some students had eaten the rest of the packet I'd feel entitled to a refund.

This is something that you need to change on your phone handset. this is nothing to do with your line provider.

I think he's referring to the free 1571 voicemail Virgin provides. From what I remember, the phone rings 5 times and then goes to voicemail, and this isn't changeable. Upgrading to the paid version most likely gives you the option to change this.

I think he's referring to the free 1571 voicemail Virgin provides. From what I remember, the phone rings 5 times and then goes to voicemail, and this isn't changeable. Upgrading to the paid version most likely gives you the option to change this.

Yeah, that's really annoying. We had to disable it because if you weren't in the same room as the handset then you had no chance of answering a call in time.

im on parson cross and we have cable (southey)

No Fibre Optic broadband in the Springwell estate in Beighton despite the fact that the surrounding roads are connected

lol nice, what a joke they'd only do part of an area. :P

The companies that installed the cable services in the late 80's & early 90's went bust before they had a chance to complete the whole of Sheffield (like in most other towns & cities).

Oh no Virgin Media services in Jordanthorpe, Batemoor or Lowedges

No Fibre Optic broadband in the Springwell estate in Beighton despite the fact that the surrounding roads are connected

That estate is connected directly to the Mosborough telephone exchange, this means that FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) is not possible as there is no existing green cabinets at which to site a Fibre cabinet next to.

Hope this helps.

That estate is connected directly to the Mosborough telephone exchange, this means that FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) is not possible as there is no existing green cabinets at which to site a Fibre cabinet next to.

Hope this helps.

There is a Fibre cabinet a few minutes walk away with a label on it stating "Fibre now available" however you are correct as we are connected directly to the exchange I dont think that we will get Fibre Broadband any time soon.

shiregreen is cabled

lower shiregreen is not cabled ??