Wig & Pen goes bust

Went there a few times, extremely variable, sometimes excellent, sometimes frankly terrible. Still though, was a nice venue and one of the few places in town where I didn't feel too old to go in for a drink. Wonder what will replace it?

Just goes to show you can't get away with charging London prices in a rundown Northern city. No great loss.

Gutted! Didn't go in as often as I should (and now regretting it..) - but always impressed. I wish the current owners + team all the best for the future. Let's hope someone is able to re-open it sooner rather than later..

John.

I feel exectly the same.

I'm really disappointed that it's shut down. It's been our local to the office since I moved back up to Sheffield & I will miss it :(

Though I must admit we didn't go as often as we used to recently while money has been tight; a round in the Wig usually came to about double that of a round of exactly the same drinks at Henry's. But on a sunny day it was lovely hanging out in Paradise square.

The owners were always really friendly - I guess they just decided it was better to put all their eggs into Platillos for now.

I hope it re-opens one day :)

A big shame that another quality, independently owned eaterie has bitten the dust. Yes it was a bit more expensive, but the quality of food and service (90% of the time) made it value for money.

One day the only choice we'll have in Sheffield is All Bar One and MacDonalds and I suppose then the majority of philistines will be happy.

Just goes to show you can't get away with charging London prices in a rundown Northern city. No great loss.

AT least we are ahead of Newcastle where I believe they still chew on rocks ;)

Lets just remember the good times, baked beans on toast for only £6.50 and a pint of 4% vinegar £3.00. Where now will i go for such quality and value?

This made me laugh.

I didn't dislike it, wasn't it's number one fan though.

its never been the same since Gorden Boucher owned it,he'll be spinning in his grave now,anyone remember him?

shame another non-chain place bites the dust. suppose it had to charge high prices to pay for the refurb, and since the solicitors moved further out of town it was destined to struggle..

shame another non-chain place bites the dust. suppose it had to charge high prices to pay for the refurb, and since the solicitors moved further out of town it was destined to struggle..

No-one has to charge high prices for a refurb...if they choose to do it during a recession then they are destined to close. ....Oops.

Such a shame that somewhere so nice has bit the bullet. I personally loved the place at saturday lunchtime. Sheffield is a place that is is in dire need of quality eating establishments. I hope it reopens soon!