Wig & Pen goes bust

Shame. Loved it there! This credit crunch has got a lot to answer for!

Think the extension was a tad too ambitious for them.....!

Shame. Loved it there! This credit crunch has got a lot to answer for!

Think the extension was a tad too ambitious for them.....!

Some places seem to manage OK. Not all of them deservedly so. :confused:

Think it's a real shame. I really like that area of town for drinking and eating but they seem to fail to create a crawl culture, they are more date bars which doesn't always help with spending lots. Had the lunchtime trade fallen too?

Wig and Pen, had some great meals there. Thank you to all the staff and management. I hope you rise like Phoenix from the ashes.

Nice place but work colleagues and I stopped going regularly when prices got silly. hmmm, wonder if Im the type they were trying to price out of there?

Been there once, it was alright, not worth the money though.

Nice place but work colleagues and I stopped going regularly when prices got silly. hmmm, wonder if Im the type they were trying to price out of there?

It was very expensive! If they were trying to price out those that work in the legal quarter of town, then they did have a recipe for disaster!

I liked Wig and Pen but must admit preferred it years ago when the Golden Ball was open across the road. The drinks were cheaper back then too. Its a shame though all the pubs closing.

Always seemed like a nice bar to me, I hope they don't close Platillos as well otherwise Leopold Square will be in trouble.

It's good to sit outside in there with the heaters and a couple of bars to choose where you get the next drinks from. One of the best places in town to sit and have a few drinks.

They did well with the refurb and opening it out on to Paradise Sq is great. But I had cask beer that was off on three separate visits, so I stopped going after that.

Good luck to the next owners. Hopefully it'll be someone who knows about looking after beer.

Gutted! Didn't go in as often as I should (and now regretting it..) - but always impressed. I wish the current owners + team all the best for the future. Let's hope someone is able to re-open it sooner rather than later..

John.

Lets just remember the good times, baked beans on toast for only £6.50 and a pint of 4% vinegar £3.00. Where now will i go for such quality and value?

The last time I went in there was a hell of a long time ago, and there were damned good reasons for that. A barely mediocre, yet hideously expensive place just to start with. Even worse than when it was 'Shenanigans', and believe me, that's saying something.

I'm sorry to say that it's not a passing which I shall mourn.