Calling expats in new zealand

hi there,

i noticed there were several brits living in new zealand, going for a hols in jan wanting a good idea of places to go from a sheffielder (i have a 2 year old) with a view to moving over.

Where do you live? hows life? where are the nice places to live?

all advice would be appreciated.:help:

Hi Buttercup,

I had an uncle/aunt living in Rotorua. Uncle emigrated in 1939 and never been back. He loved it there. I went in 1996 to see them and the country is fabulous. Rotorua is so clean and the people so fiendly. A lot of ex pats in Auckland. For scenery, the South Island is the place, but the more northerly you come, the warmer it gets. From Rotorua northwards, its mor or less sub tropical. I have a cousin livin in the 'Bay of Islands'. It would be great for you and your son. A good future for anyone with any skills.

Best wishes.

Hi Buttercup - you may want to PM Tammy!

Also read her thread here

My cousin is over there at the moment and is loving the place!!

:thumbsup:

:confused: Hi Shiesh, i've just been watching your vid. Is that really you in the Elmo Cossie, and how bored are you?:loopy:

Originally posted by buttercup

hi there,

i noticed there were several brits living in new zealand, going for a hols in jan wanting a good idea of places to go from a sheffielder (i have a 2 year old) with a view to moving over.

Hi buttercup, l'm a sheffielder living in N. Zealand and have done for nearly fifty years l love the place. there is so many places to holiday if you like skiing sky-diving bungey jumping and other extreme sports (upset stomache)then the south island is the place with beautyful scenery. the north island also has its delights Rotorua with its hot pools and geysers best trout fishing in Taupo and the capital city Wellington jewel of the Nth Island home of Lord of the Rings and middle earth ,and only two hours on the ferry to the south.lts a friendly country and we are nuclear free....lol

Wonderful place to bring up kids

And of course it's only a hop skip and a jump over to sunny Brisbane!! I lived in Christchurch in the Sth Island for 10 years before we moved over to oz. Miss NZ like mad, tho' places like the Gold Coast with Surfers Paradise and the Sunshine Coast, help ease the pain somewhat!

Good luck!!

hi there,

Hi Buttercup

We are off to NZ in January, got a camper for a month. Starting off in Hahei then who knows where. Guess we will just get recomendations when we get there. Meeting up with our son & his partner. They arrive in October to work. Have a nice Holiday.

hi there,

hi buttercup

i have been living in nz for 16 yrs and wouldn't go back at all.

lived in auckland for 14 yrs and now on the coromandel in Tairua. check out Coromandel on google.

The country is a nice place to live so doesn't matter where you go.

The main cities are Auckland ,wellington, hamilton, Tauranga, in north island. in south island there is christchurch, don't know others well. goood luck, its great for kids. like england 25 yrs ago for crime and ahead of sheffieild in techology i believe.:thumbsup:

There's a saying in NZ .... when someone passes wind .. they say" I've just done a Rotorua", ... don't move there it smell like poo. Really. I went there 25 years ago ..it really does. lol .

David x

How did it go and did you decide to stay?

hi there,

I'm trying to locate an old pal of mine by the name of JOHN GRANT,who used to live on DUNNING RD,on SHIREGREEN.I have been in touch with his two brothers but unfortunatley they have lost contact with him.They both said that he was in AUCKLAND so i'm hoping that there is a very slim chance that somone out there can put me in touch with him.eightlegger.(arthur) (you can live in hope,if you die in castleton )

Hi eightlegger - I guess you'll have tried the Auckland phone book, but if not you could go to this site and do a search. There are two John Grants listed for Auckland; could one of them be the old pal you are looking for?

Mrs hillsbro and I just returned from a month in New Zealand - great country!