International dialing code

xxx xxxx? - I've seen adverts for numbers like that on certain satellite TV stations. I understand they charge a lot of money for the calls though. ;)

I give up Im totally confused now :huh:

A couple of other things you might consider (reasons why you can't connect the call.)

1. Does your service provider allow you to make transatlantic calls from your phone?

2. In the US, the people who receive the call also pay. Does the intended recipient's service provider block international calls?

The number format HN gave you appears to be valid.

If you're dialling a number to the USA:

00 tells the exchange to expect an international code.

"1" is the code for the USA/Canada.

"864" is the code for South Carolina.

123-4567 is the phone number.

Similarly, if you're dialling a number in Britain; say, Leeds:

0 tells the exchange to expect an area code.

113 tells it you wants Leeds. (Which is why we say the area code for Leeds is 0113.)

123-4567 is the phone number.

Americans don't say "1864 is the code for South Carolina," they just accept that you dial 1 to get an out-of-state number. We do the opposite; we say "0113 is the code for Leeds" which includes the zero you dial to get an out-of-area number.

And as Rupert mentions above, there are other reasons (which I hadn't thought of) as to why the call might not get through even if you are dialling the number correctly.

Thanks everyone, I dont need to do it now, he rang me

........................should have asked him to do that in the first place!!!! I was quite dizzy reading what you should and shouldn' t do for calling the states! LOL!

Hetty if I could have got in touch with him I would have asked him to call me :hihi:

...........doh, never thought of that!!!! Think I was having a senior moment when I wrote that , I am not usually so thick!!!!! Did you manage to get the correct number from your caller?

Hi if you go on http://www.telediscount.com you will find a list of lots of countries and cheap access codes to dial land lines and mobiles, like Germany for 1p per minute, I hope this helps you

Cheers

EH

He emailed me in the end and we communicated that way

does anyone know the international dialing code from England to america mobile to mobile (Carolina)

in the time it spent you to post a message you could have just googled it, after all, you're obviously online :)