Countdown begins to digital switchover!

I take it you've never used a digital recorder?

The removal of the hassle of finding a blank tape for recording, not messing about rewinding and fast-forwarding tapes, skip adverts with just one button press or being able to pause and rewind live TV or watch the start of the programme you're already recording is just amazing.

Not to mention the excellent picture quality and never having to buy another video tape or clean the recorders heads!

i for one will be glad when its all switched over, i am sick to death of having to re-tune every couple of weeks, i paid for a new Ariel upgrade, new TVs, new DVD recorders, and yet for the last 12 / 18 months we have had very poor reception problems, blocky picture, very hit & miss quality. i wouldn't mind so much but i live on the Manor Top Sheffield 2, with a clear unobstructed view to emley moor, every time i try to record something i usually end up with a recording from the north east of England and it is usually a completely different program to what i tried to record.

A VHS Recorder/set top box with a non digital tv means you will only be able to record the TV channel you are watching.

The newer PVR have twin digital tv tuners so you able to record 2 different channels at the same time as the one your watching.

What happens to the analogue car radio signal once we are fully digital (TV & Radio), surely they can't turn analogue radio off as well?

Analogue radio is set to be turned off in 2015.

So are all new cars fitted with digital radios?

This sounds a bit thick as well but i dont care but wont there be a lot of unusable televisions and what will happen to all of them? Can you re-cycle them in anyway or do they just have to go to the tip?

Edited by kimberley123

So are all new cars fitted with digital radios?

You could buy one of these

Although I suppose they'll start to fit DAB in most new cars from now...

i for one will be glad when its all switched over, i am sick to death of having to re-tune every couple of weeks, i paid for a new Ariel upgrade, new TVs, new DVD recorders, and yet for the last 12 / 18 months we have had very poor reception problems, blocky picture, very hit & miss quality. i wouldn't mind so much but i live on the Manor Top Sheffield 2, with a clear unobstructed view to emley moor, every time i try to record something i usually end up with a recording from the north east of England and it is usually a completely different program to what i tried to record.

Surely you would be better getting a picture from Crosspool?

This sounds a bit thick as well but i dont care but wont there be a lot of unusable televisions and what will happen to all of them? Can you re-cycle them in anyway or do they just have to go to the tip?

Every NON digital TV will just become a monitor to make it receive the Freeview TV service you need to buy the conversion kit.

The conversion kit option being:

A basic set top box or a PVR (allows you to record digital tv services)

Non digital tv's can still be used with your VCR or DVD players!

Analogue radio is set to be turned off in 2015.

Not entirely true -the plan is to switch analogue radio off from 2015, provided a sufficiently high proportion of people are listening via DAB. With the roll out of DAB more-or-less stalled now, with several of the commercial companies actually re-evaluating whether to continue broadcasting on DAB, the chances of that happening seem quite slim.

Unfortunately for the Government (who're after another big cash windfall from selling off the spectrum), it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. With no (or very few) decent stations available on DAB, nobody will buy a DAB radio to listen to them, which means the broadcasters can't justify broadcasting on DAB.

It's fine and dandy for those who can get a signal with Freeview. Unfortunately we can't and have to use a Satellite so will have to sort out getting the kitchen TV to talk to that system.

Oh well, I suppose it's progress....