HTC Desire apps

I have Advanced Task Killer but I'm starting to hear bad things from others about it.

such as? it ends tasks... what more can it do? lol

Can anyone recommend an App which is an alarm clock but will alarm even if the phone is switched off? I tried a developed App today but it didn't go off, luckily I woke up for woke early!

Also, im getting annoyed with the battery life and its only 1 day in! Can anyone recommend an app/configuration to make it stretch longer then a day?

such as? it ends tasks... what more can it do? lol

This is one, I found a few others like this:

Version: Advanced Task Killer Free for Android 1.7.9

"Not needed & may give your device a headache"

by Bones72 on June 15, 2010

Pros: Task killers are NOT needed on Android. It's not Windows Mobile. Android is designed to allow apps to exist in the backround so it will save the last used state of said app. Those apps are not actually using system resources.

Cons: Using task killer will cause your device to lose out on what it's built to do. Let Android do it's job the way it should.

Summary: Many people who complain about probs with their phones find them fixed by uninstalling task killers. You've been warned.

Regarding the alarm - as far as I know this isn't possible on Android (or on an iPhone) - once its off, its off.

Battery Life - that's normal, same for iPhone too - the screen is main drain, but the 1ghz processor, Wifi, 3G and GPS chips all use plenty of power too.

You're probably thinking 'yeah but my old sony lasted 4 days without charge' - but you probably used it for a couple of calls and texts, then left it - you'll be using your HTC for a lot more than that I expect.

I have Advanced Task Killer but I'm starting to hear bad things from others about it.

I think some people have issues because they have it killing processes which they actually wanted running - eg clock widgets, calendar widgets etc.

I prefer to exclude my 'core apps' and then kill everything else if it starts to get laggy - I'd rather choose which apps get killed than have the OS decide for me. For example - I might want my instant messenger to run, but kill the web browser instead.

Also, im getting annoyed with the battery life and its only 1 day in! Can anyone recommend an app/configuration to make it stretch longer then a day?

Search the market for juice defender

Can anyone recommend an App which is an alarm clock but will alarm even if the phone is switched off? I tried a developed App today but it didn't go off, luckily I woke up for woke early!

I tend to put mine in aircraft mode at night, helps save battery life.

Handcent

xScope lite

Aldiko

Laputa

3G watchdog

Lookout

Send My Position

Pkt auctions

Paper toss

Retro camera

Vignette

SlideIT keyboard

Powersave (ESSENTIAL APP!!!!!)

This is my stuff. It's a Hero, not a Desire, so theres no Angry Birds or live wallpapers etc!

- Unit Converter - Convert any sort of unit you can think of. Volume, distance, area, temperature etc etc

- Handcent SMS - Better than the stock app.

- ColorNote Notepad Notes - You can "stick" notes to your desktop as reminders, shopping lists etc

- c:geo ~ geocaching for Android

- SwiftKey Keyboard - Immensely easier to use than stock. Unfortunately has just gone to a paid app.

- Compass

- SMS Backup & Restore - Handy if you do an upgrade or mess with custom ROMS.

- Google Maps

- GPS Status

- Beautiful Widgets (Paid version) - Better Clock and Weather icons, you also get a few different widgets for stuff like Wifi on/off etc

- FolderOrganizer lite - Allows you to change the icons of your widgets, change the name on screen of your widgets, and a whole lot more!

- PhoneMyPC (Paid App) - Access your PC remotely over your wireless network. Handy if you're doing something that takes a while, and want to go downstairs or another room, and need to keep checking your progress.

- eBay

- Soccer Score Centre Lite - Basically Sky Sports Videprinter on your phone.

- WeatherBug Elite (Paid version). The "lite" version is just as good. The paid version gives you access to weather and radar maps. I go fishing a lot, and needed a decent accurate weather app. This delivers.

- Street View on Google Maps

- AppBrain App Market

- Speed Anatomy - Nice free game. You have to click on the body part it asks for, in a certain time. Handy if you're a medical student, cos it gets VERY technical later on!

- Adobe® Reader®

- Multicon Widget - Allows you to put four widgets in the space of one on your screen. Very handy if you have LOTS of widgets, or don't want to scroll through your screens to find one, or if you have a few widgets that take up lots of space on a screen (Picture Frame etc)

- Alchemy - Free game. You WILL lose your life to this game till you complete it. You have been warned!

- Facebook for Android - Actually crap, but allows you to check stuff if you so desire.

- Ruler - Basically, an on screen ruler!

- Advanced Task Killer - I dont use this as much as I did, but I DO use it. Just make sure your clock is on your exemption list!

- Aldiko Book Reader - Free E-book reader. Has loads of public domain (ie free!) books to download.

- 3G Watchdog - Keeps a count of how much Internet data you've used. Handy if you're only on 500 mb a month like me!

- Currency Converter - Keeps a track of the currency exchanges. Handy of your off on hols and want to get the best rate for your pounds!

- ASTRO File Manager - A file explorer for your phone!

- Moon Phase

- Quake Alert!

- Bubble - An onscreen spirit level.

- BBC News

- ShopSavvy Barcode Scanner

- Google Sky Map - Probably THE best thing for showing off your phone! I was majorly surprised that the iPhone doesnt have this.

Edited by gremlin_mick

also found a brilliant new game....

Hungry shark free- yes your a shark and yes you eat people.. its brilliant!

This is my stuff. It's a Hero, not a Desire, so theres no Angry Birds or live wallpapers etc!

- Unit Converter - Convert any sort of unit you can think of. Volume, distance, area, temperature etc etc

- Handcent SMS - Better than the stock app.

- ColorNote Notepad Notes - You can "stick" notes to your desktop as reminders, shopping lists etc

- c:geo ~ geocaching for Android

- SwiftKey Keyboard - Immensely easier to use than stock. Unfortunately has just gone to a paid app.

- Compass

- SMS Backup & Restore - Handy if you do an upgrade or mess with custom ROMS.

- Google Maps

- GPS Status

- Beautiful Widgets (Paid version) - Better Clock and Weather icons, you also get a few different widgets for stuff like Wifi on/off etc

- FolderOrganizer lite - Allows you to change the icons of your widgets, change the name on screen of your widgets, and a whole lot more!

- PhoneMyPC (Paid App) - Access your PC remotely over your wireless network. Handy if you're doing something that takes a while, and want to go downstairs or another room, and need to keep checking your progress.

- eBay

- Soccer Score Centre Lite - Basically Sky Sports Videprinter on your phone.

- WeatherBug Elite (Paid version). The "lite" version is just as good. The paid version gives you access to weather and radar maps. I go fishing a lot, and needed a decent accurate weather app. This delivers.

- Street View on Google Maps

- AppBrain App Market

- Speed Anatomy - Nice free game. You have to click on the body part it asks for, in a certain time. Handy if you're a medical student, cos it gets VERY technical later on!

- Adobe® Reader®

- Multicon Widget - Allows you to put four widgets in the space of one on your screen. Very handy if you have LOTS of widgets, or don't want to scroll through your screens to find one, or if you have a few widgets that take up lots of space on a screen (Picture Frame etc)

- Alchemy - Free game. You WILL lose your life to this game till you complete it. You have been warned!

- Facebook for Android - Actually crap, but allows you to check stuff if you so desire.

- Ruler - Basically, an on screen ruler!

- Advanced Task Killer - I dont use this as much as I did, but I DO use it. Just make sure your clock is on your exemption list!

- Aldiko Book Reader - Free E-book reader. Has loads of public domain (ie free!) books to download.

- 3G Watchdog - Keeps a count of how much Internet data you've used. Handy if you're only on 500 mb a month like me!

- Currency Converter - Keeps a track of the currency exchanges. Handy of your off on hols and want to get the best rate for your pounds!

- ASTRO File Manager - A file explorer for your phone!

- Moon Phase

- Quake Alert!

- Bubble - An onscreen spirit level.

- BBC News

- ShopSavvy Barcode Scanner

- Google Sky Map - Probably THE best thing for showing off your phone! I was majorly surprised that the iPhone doesnt have this.

hi there i tried installing handcent sms other day but it also sent texts through the stock programme, any ideas how to stop this?? im using htc legend 2.1

hi there i tried installing handcent sms other day but it also sent texts through the stock programme, any ideas how to stop this?? im using htc legend 2.1

Go to the in built messaging app then head to Settings -> Untick notifications

Should stop you getting two notifications as well!