Blue-ray superceded.

I knew it wouldn't last long. Still, I spent nearly £300 on a Bue-ray player, and to be honest, I can't see much improvement from normal DVD. It certainly doesn't justify the extra cost of buying Blue-ray films.

Anyway, a senoir Microsoft executive has claimed people are making the leep passed Blue-ray, straight to DVD downloads that offer HD 1080p in an instant.

I don't have the facillity for this yet but I can see this as the way forward. Pretty soon DVD's will be a thing of the past. Although I thought it would have been replaced by some kind of SD card.

Sorry mods, can this be moved to the tech section?

Edited by verona
Wrong section.

Hmmm, Microsoft exec claims something Sony pioneered to be a failure.

Stretching of the truth me thinks!

The days of people wanting to "own a movie" seem to me to be coming to an end anyhow. Why on earth would you want to actually own things that you may only watch once or a couple of times. Much better to stream it on demand over the web or on the Virgin cable TV system.

People in the future will find it hilarious that people used to fill their houses up with big video cassettes and DVDs when they will be able to call up any film ever made in an instant.

The days of people wanting to "own a movie" seem to me to be coming to an end anyhow. Why on earth would you want to actually own things that you may only watch once or a couple of times.

??

cos its better?

you can own it, hold it, smell it, read it

??

cos its better?

you can own it, hold it, smell it, read it

Do you want to "OWN" a copy of every TV programme that you see, or are you happy to just watch it when it appears on the channel or see it on catch up or iPlayer service ?

Do you want to "OWN" a copy of every TV programme that you see, or are you happy to just watch it when it appears on the channel or see it on catch up or iPlayer service ?

nope

i download plenty of stuff (albums, films, tv shows etc etc)

BUT

i do prefer to own the ones i really really like, having a download is NOTHING like owning it on lp, cd or dvd

I far prefer physically owning a movie to downloading it.

That and books are about the only things I hope will never change...

If thats the case why have all the major AV companies invested millions into 3D blu ray?

I was miffed yesterday, I bought 300 at morrisons for £4, it was on channel 5 last night at 9pm.

They had the technology to superseed it near on a decade ago with white lasers...

nope

i download plenty of stuff (albums, films, tv shows etc etc)

BUT

i do prefer to own the ones i really really like, having a download is NOTHING like owning it on lp, cd or dvd

I was going to disagree but I religiously buy Coast and Family Guy when the new series comes out.

As for picture quality, I think Blu Ray is far superior, but it depends on the film. The detailing on the ships in the new Trek movie was outstanding.

I prefer to own the boxed set of the TV shows that I like. I've got LOADS of TV shows on DVD. I don't like TV, it's got adverts and you (for the most part) have to watch it when they put things on, not whenever you like. I use SKY + HD and while it is good for recording a whole season it isn't as good as having the DVD. I also don't enjoy watching things on my laptop... just isn't the same, although I have a HD lead that I can plug into my laptop.