The Cannon Public House

Anyone got memories of this spit and sawdust type place? I went in many times. So much smoke, it was unreal - even though I smoke, I retched! I noticed it was closed down, when did this happen? Cheers.

It closed down a few years back under crack house legislation I think? Never to be reopened as a pub again.

It used to be a great little pub to visit. A few years ago now, I'd call in and buy a beer, just so I could sit down and smoke a spliff in the city centre.

In the late 1960s it was known as the labour exchange for the building trade

I remember it in the mid seventies, it was done up and re opened by a bloke called Barry (dont remember his second name he tried to murder his wife and did a lot of time in prison. The a bloke called John Angel took over he was a real good landlord very young but knew his job.

What happeded to him?

It closed down a few years back under crack house legislation I think? Never to be reopened as a pub again.

It used to be a great little pub to visit. A few years ago now, I'd call in and buy a beer, just so I could sit down and smoke a spliff in the city centre.

John Angel went to the Gate at Wadsley bridge after the Cannon- but I don't know after that. He split from his wife too. He was a nice guy- but no idea where he is now.

I can remember in the late 80s when Tommy and Pat Green had it

i remember it in the late 80,s ,early 90,s when paul bower and steve deegan worked behind the bar

i remember cannon going downstairs and a glass collector dying of alcholic poisoning ....he was found in his bed in the morning by his mum on the kelvin flats back in the late 70s.

very sad

Hens n chickens across the road...

happy days

i remember it in the late 80s / early 90s with the skinheads etc frequenting it

I Worked as barmaid there in the early 70s

when Joe and Margeret Ashmore was landlord and landlady

it was a great little pub back then.

Nola ? are you following this

Hope you are keepin ok.

Gazz`s mate.