Robin Hood Inn Stannington

This pub/restaurant is in a fantastic setting only 10 minutes from Hillsborough and could be the hub of a nice walk then something to eat.

But, to gain a reputation and regular eating clientel the food has to be excellent and I am afraid our first experience was not great, Homemade Burger, OK but looked grey as if had been frozen, served in what looked like a warburtons bap, how much extra would a rustic cob have cost? accompanied by watery coleslaw (have the veg mix ready but add the mayo just prior to serving)

Bread and olives, olive quality should be much better, bread needed to be chunkier and a mix of styles, not thinly sliced plain white loaf.

To see what good looks like, consider taking the cheff to Charlies in Baslow, better and cheaper, the Milestone at Shalesmoor, simmilar price but better food and better presentation, Thyme cafe (shame about the fries) but everything else they have got spot on.

Get the lunches right and you could be on to a real winner. I hope this criticism is constructive and helps. We will try again but only once unless there is much improvement.

The beers were great.

Cheers

If there is anyone on the forum from the Robbin Hood we have made christmas pudding ice cream in partnership with award winning local christmas pudding producer Mathew Walker, we have had a fantastic response with it.

We are also making Double Brandy Butter ice cream to go with your christmas pudding, its so creamy, even when its melted you have a fantastic sauce.

Last time I went in was at lunchtime when I was on day release at Stannington College in about 1977, had a couple of pints, meat and potato pie n peas with Hendersons relish, wonderfull !! They had washing hung up to dry inside the pub, looks like its changed a bit, might give it another go.

Can anyone buy your Double Barndy Butter ice cream? I or my wife go past your farm every day and wouldn't mind some.

Shaun

http://www.sheffieldcleaning.com

Yes Shaun, everything we make is available from the farm, I think we are up to about 21 different ice creams now available in little tubs half litre, litre and 2.5L.

Free samples all December. (well its allways try before you buy :thumbsup:)

We now stock fresh organic British dirty veg, because it has not been scrubbed and washed clean it will last weeks :)

Yes Shaun, everything we make is available from the farm, I think we are up to about 21 different ice creams now available in little tubs half litre, litre and 2.5L.

Free samples all December. (well its allways try before you buy :thumbsup:)

We now stock fresh organic British dirty veg, because it has not been scrubbed and washed clean it will last weeks :)

You should put you address in your signature - where are you?

The Robin Hood is an ace pub! the new landlord Carl is great. We regularly frequent it on a Friday and Saturday night. In fact, I shall be up there in around an hour with the gang! Our Cow Molly, your ice cream sounds delicious. I have only heard good things about it. I shall have to pop up to your shop to buy some.

Called the pub yesterday lunch time to book a table of 16 for last night. Wasn't too hopefull. However the staff couldn't have been more accomadating. Really looked after us.

The food was superb. Real good quality.

Will be back.

I rang the Robin Hood yesterday, to book Sunday lunch as a Christmas present for a close friend.

The phone was answered by a girl who, when I asked when a table for 3 might be free this Sunday replied : "We have a very busy day this Sunday". Fair enough. I asked again when a table for 3 might be free, if at all.

I could hear someone in the background talking to her and obviously telling her what to say to me. The girl then told me that she couldn't tell me if there might be a table free. I was a bit stumped at this. The voice prompted her again and she said : "Can you ring back tomorrow. I'm not in a position to tell you whether you can book a table and both managers are busy".

Needless to say, I booked somewhere else, where the restaurant was actually interested in my custom.

Not a good approach to customer service by the Robin Hood, I'd say.

Remind me never ever to go there and I will tlel my 200 fiends also ;-)

A group of us called just after 3pm a few weeks ago, for a drink after a long walk, only to be told by the surly chap there " We close at 3 and don't open till 5". Hard to believe in these times, I know, but they must be raking it in, to be able to afford the luxury of this kind of attitude to potential customers. Like lots of pubs these days, they are run by people who are sadly lacking in customer awareness and no doubt they will "move on" in a couple of years blaming falling demand, credit crunch, we tried our best, etc,etc. It would have been a good business were it not for those pesky customers!