..and finally, some good news!

"A BUILDER burst into tears and hugged relatives outside court after being cleared of threatening a policewoman with a chainsaw as he tore apart a roof in a row over an unpaid bill.

Royden Toon, aged 60, was charged with affray over the incident in Barlborough, near Chesterfield, following a five-year dispute with the owners of a farmhouse on which he had worked."

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Roof-row-builder-cleared.6545159.jp

This is a story from last year which received a lot of attention at the time, the builder and earlier had charges of criminal damage dropped.

it's surprising how many skilled small business owners are not getting paid from jobs they have done!

My friend is an electrician, he has done a full £300ish job for a woman who now decides she can't and won't pay. She said she hasn't got the money and he looked into it with a solicitor and been told she will pay £10 per month back!!!. He has since found out she has had plumbers and joiners round fixing her house and told them all she can't pay! What a scam she has going and the guys who have worked hard doing the jobs are left out of pocket!

Edited by fridayfeelin

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Roof-row-builder-cleared.6545159.jp

This is a story from last year which received a lot of attention at the time, the builder and earlier had charges of criminal damage dropped.

Charged with:-

a. Criminal damage - found not guilty

b. Affray - found not guilty

Judge Andrew Hamilton said '' You were very fortunate you were not charged with blackmail''.

It seems like someone has not been doing their job very well.

I thought the worrying trend amonst the report was the bit where the judge said that something along the lines.... that the civil courts should be used to chase up these debts!

Does the judge not realise that most tradesmen are self employed & have better things to be doing than instructing solicitors, providing witness statements & then attending courts...all for a £10 a week payment for umpty number of years....better things such as been out there earning a living.

The most worrying aspect of all this is that most small self employed concerns rely on payment from the last job to pay something towards the materials for the next. It's called cash flow & people who breach contracts without due cause can cause mayhem with this! I think they should be made an example of personally!

It seems to be a worrying trend....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1306000/Disgruntled-builder-uses-JCB-demolish-extension-just-built-row-unpaid-bill.html?ITO=1490

I thought the worrying trend amonst the report was the bit where the judge said that something along the lines.... that the civil courts should be used to chase up these debts!

Does the judge not realise that most tradesmen are self employed & have better things to be doing than instructing solicitors, providing witness statements & then attending courts...all for a £10 a week payment for umpty number of years....better things such as been out there earning a living.

It's not just that, there was a similar scenario a few years ago regarding a builder who'd built a porch for a woman who refused to pay.

He did go through the courts, won the case and the woman *still* refused to pay.

He ended up petitioning the court for the right to remove said porch and ended up removing it again. He never got paid.

Yes, judge Andrew Hamilton did tell Royden Toon that the correct way was to go through the civil courts, but was he right?

Let me tell you all, NO WAY.

Years ago, as a small works builder, I had a chap who I thought was a friend set me up for a con trick whereby I renovated his three derelict cottages into his dream home and did not get a penny from him.

It cost me my home, my property, my marriage, everything that I had.

I went through the civil courts system and he gained legal aid certificates on one pack of lies and then a judgement that meant that he pay nothing to me, on a conflicting pack of lies.

That's the civil courts for you!

To see how it was all done, I invite you to visit my website, Colin Peters Before the Court of Public Opinion.

This can be found by Googling 'Colin Peters John Walford' but do not click on the 'uk only' button.

I thank you very much for posting my link mate. Being a new subscriber meant that I cant post it until I have made five postings.

Cheers.

Yes, judge Andrew Hamilton did tell Royden Toon that the correct way was to go through the civil courts, but was he right?

Yes, unless you can prove - beyond any reasonable doubt - that there was never any intention to pay and the customer was committing a fraud. That will be flatly impossible in most cases, so the civil court is your only available option.

Yes, unless you can prove - beyond any reasonable doubt - that there was never any intention to pay and the customer was committing a fraud. That will be flatly impossible in most cases, so the civil court is your only available option.

If the civil courts are the only available option, then little wonder that an increasing number of builders are taking the law into their own hands.

In the early days it was confirmed to me by a CID officer that I had a good case of obtaining goods and services by deception against my crooked friend, and on the evidence that I had shown him, he could have him locked up, but, if I was to ever get my money, the best way was through the civil courts.

You want to talk about fraud???

It can be 'proven beyond doubt' that he even got his legal aid certificates fraudulently since all of the claims that got him and his wife their certificates were either conceded to, or rejected by, the court.

If you check out my website you will see all of the documentation in proof.

If the civil courts are the only available option, then little wonder that an increasing number of builders are taking the law into their own hands.

In the early days it was confirmed to me by a CID officer that I had a good case of obtaining goods and services by deception against my crooked friend, and on the evidence that I had shown him, he could have him locked up, but, if I was to ever get my money, the best way was through the civil courts.

You want to talk about fraud???

It can be 'proven beyond doubt' that he even got his legal aid certificates fraudulently since all of the claims that got him and his wife their certificates were either conceded to, or rejected by, the court.

If you check out my website you will see all of the documentation in proof.

I wouldnt expect anything less if I ripped a builder off, good on him.