Council loans Magna £150,000

We haven't been to Magna for ages, because even with discount vouchers it costs the earth, and isn't as good as other science based centres we've been to. Wouldn't they get more visitors if they put their prices down? Surely the increase in visitor numbers would make up for the initial shortfall in profit? As well as what those visitors spend in the shop and cafe etc.

We had an annual pass last year (Just Expired) and we won't be renewing it again.

Whilst Magna was an initial hit with us, when we returned every month or so, the amount of 'attractions' that were broken or absent, its' decline became more apparent.

We had far better days out at places like the National Coal Mining Museum (Free!), and next year we will look for other attractions offering similar, and enjoy a grand day out yet again.

Magna has outpriced itself - and is now suffering the consequence IMO

It's going the same way as the Museum of Popular Music and the Earth Centre...what is it about this area that kills off ideas like this?

Only been once, it was a good day out, and the re-enactment of the furnace being charged was very good, tho i get to see the real thing on a regular basis! It is way too expensive tho, and not the sort of place you'd want to go to again on a regular basis. My friend works as an events coordinator for them, and to me thats the only way this site will stay open, hosting conferences and events. Seems a shame really.

I used to have an annual family pass, and I stopped going when they started charging annual pass holders. I was also getting fed up with broken exhibits. It's a pity because I used to really like visiting.

I also think that the new building they've built inside ruins the sense of space you used to get.

They charge? Have they never seen Manchester MSI? Completely free and so much to see and do.

Shouldn't the thread title be Rotherham Council loans Magna £150,000.

Shush, by the time Sheffield Council realise they shouldn't have given then £150,000, Magna's owners will be on a flight to the Bahamas!

Yes, probably, but there are those who are classed as Sheffield, but come under Rotherham, who use Sheffield forum. So, I didn't want to make them feel like second class citizen - it isn't their fault is it?!

I have quite a bit of experience of furnace charging but for anyone who hasn'y seen it for real, Magna is a hopeless experience. A sound recording and a few flashing lights.

It would be better served with a film showing exactly what happens.

As an earlier post mentioned half the exhibits weren't working. Over the period since the opening they should have been adding new interesting exhibits.