New allotment sites

Interesting news but what does it mean?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/nature/newsid_9002000/9002864.stm

Will they take people from waiting lists for these pilot sites or will they just be for people within those communities?

Good news on the front of getting tough on the current owners, especially with the amount of people waiting for a plot!

Great news that the council is going to get tough, but where are the additional resources going to come from to enforce the current tenancy agreement?. There are currently 100's of unworked plots throughout Sheffield that need managing first, before any grand ideas of new sites are undertaken.

There are currently 100's of unworked plots throughout Sheffield that need managing first, before any grand ideas of new sites are undertaken.

100s of un-worked plots and thousands on the waiting lists. How's that work? ;?

And I've not been there for a few years now, but up near Crookes there is a bit of woodland that clearly used to be allotments; I could not say how many more places there are like that.

And before the tree-huggers kick off at me for suggesting we destroy woodland, I ask them to shove "forest gardening" into their favourite search engine.

Take a look nearby at the newly cleared allotments in the Rivelin Valley too!

Well according to their news page here they are onto the 2nd round of inspections so hopefully things should start to move over then next few months!

I spoke to the allotments department today and the new plots planned are for community growing only, so will not have much impact on current lists if people still want their own bit of earth.

Good that they are cracking down elsewhere though.

So its a pretty pointless article from the BBC stating plots and waiting lists if it wont make a difference, suppose at first reading it makes the council look good though!

Good that they are cracking down elsewhere though.

That depends on how they are cracking down. People should be allowed to work their plots how they like... just as long as they do work them.

So its a pretty pointless article from the BBC stating plots and waiting lists if it wont make a difference, suppose at first reading it makes the council look good though!

Could be that some of the people on the lists will be satisfied with joining up to a community plot. Who knows?