The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

My dad had a stay there in the late sixties,does anyone know how to access his records?.would be interesting to know what the docs said,thanks ray

Might be difficult as they would be confidential so you would probably need his permission to access them also they might have been destroyed. I may be wrong in this but I think they are only kept for around 10 years. My guess is that the only thing you might find out is why he was admitted and even then the names of many diagnoses have changed over the years .for instance what was known as manic depression is now known as Bi-Polar.

Shouldn't have been destroyed but closed for approx 100 yrs. Possible to obtain but permission is needed from NHS. Ask at Sheff Archives.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:09 PM, darra said:

Might be difficult as they would be confidential so you would probably need his permission to access them also they might have been destroyed. I may be wrong in this but I think they are only kept for around 10 years. My guess is that the only thing you might find out is why he was admitted and even then the names of many diagnoses have changed over the years .for instance what was known as manic depression is now known as Bi-Polar.

I was told that my late fathers medical records were sent to a holding centre just after he died and they were destroyed after 10 years.  That was in 1999.  

Things have become more computerised since then so I’m not sure if it is still the same.

? Holding centre to be microfilmed first before destruction, is more likely. Ask someone will know what procedures are in place.   

Accessing records varies around the country. the trust I worked for would allow access in some cases I think not sure how much they charged if anything. I heard of some trusts charging around £80. I know of somebody who managed to access their records but once they had been ok'd by the trust and consultant there was more stuff blacked out (censored) and unreadable than readable.  The problem these days is trusts could be wary because of the where there's blame there's a claim culture.

On 04/01/2019 at 21:36, gene said:

? Holding centre to be microfilmed first before destruction, is more likely. Ask someone will know what procedures are in place.   

At the trust, I worked for I don't think they were microfiched but they were stored electronically. As you can imagine it was/is a mammoth task .

My late aunt Audrey worker at middlewood for many years not sure if theres anything I might have that could help. lived in wadsley growing up spent a load of time in and around the place even used to frequent the club on the grounds which was very popular in the 8o's  ill have a look for you Audrey ridley was my aunts name 

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/libraries-archives/access-archives-local-studies-l

Mental health

The history of mental health provision in South Yorkshire from the late 19th century is largely told by the history of Middlewood Hospital (formerly South Yorkshire Lunatic Asylum) which was established in Sheffield in 1872.

The records of Middlewood Hospital (1872 – 1996) are at Sheffield Archives. These include patient admission registers dating back to 1872 which list the names of the many thousands of people who passed through the asylum, detailing ages, occupations and ‘causes of insanity’.

The names of all patients admitted to Middlewood Hospital between 1872 and 1910 have been transcribed and can be searched using our indexes.

hi i was just wounding if anyone can find any records of my great uncle Eric Houlder he died in the hospital in 1941 he was only 17 years old so if you would be so kind and try and find anything about him i would be so grateful thanks Luke   

Hi Luke,

1939 Register, West Riding Mental Hospital, Wadsley, Sheffield.

Eric Houlder, patient, born 1924, Incapacitated.

Does it say everything else because thing I have  Heard from my family that he died from falling off a chair