The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

rotherham-images.co.uk/Middlewood%20Hospital%20Main%20Page.htm

there are some very good pics here

Me and a couple of mates camped out in MWH 92/93,we must have been 13/14 years old at the time.And I'll never forget how bloody scared we were all night(I got no sleep anyhow),we wanted to go home but we couldnt,as we had all lied to each others parents,,doh...Still a great night though,now I can look back at it lol.

my grandad mr kitson use to work in the lab at the very top of middlewood hospital he use to do postmorten he retired 1972 or 1973

a friend of mine in about 1978 told me a funny storey his older brother had got a contract to do various work at the hospital,they befrended one of the inmates(or he befrended them)carrying stuff making tea and other stuff,they had been there for about 6 weeks when one of the lads saw him making the brew,he had the kettle in the toilet bowl filling it up,dont think he made another cuppa for them:hihi:

Hello, does anyone know anything of an Emma Roberts, I believe she was a patient there for some time, thanks

Does anyone remember a patient called maggie bell? Right character. I know of a home which has a few people from middlewood, these people have been institutionalised most of their life, they are now in other homes for mental issues and never get any family visit, its very very sad!

I worked at Middlewood for a short while and it wasn't a hospital it was a small village with its own shops,church,pub and bank. I read an article a while ago about someone who had lived most of their lives in such a place then all of a sudden it was closed down and she was put in a house with no friends or family. she didn't like it but people kept telling her it was better for her. Maggie and care in the community has a lot to answer for for people like her

Hi fellow forumers...can anyone tell me if it would be at all possible to find an 'inmate name list for Middlewood hospital?

I recently discovered that my great uncle (didn't even know I had one) had been there and I would like to find out more about him.

As I understand it he was transferred to somewhere else when the place closed, I don't know where so if anyone has any leads I would appreciate it. Wherever it was he was transferred to is where he died.

I know he was admitted to Middlewood when he was quite young and he died approximate age of 80

Any help or advise would be appreciated :help:

Edited by bluediamonds

Hi fellow forumers...can anyone tell me if it would be at all possible to find an 'inmate name list for Middlewood hospital?

I recently discovered that my great uncle (didn't even know I had one) had been there and I would like to find out more about him.

As I understand it he was transferred to somewhere else when the place closed, I don't know where so if anyone has any leads I would appreciate it. Wherever it was he was transferred to is where he died.

I know he was admitted to Middlewood when he was quite young and he died approximate age of 80

Hello there,

Unless your Great Uncle was classed "A Danger To Society" he would have been transfered to a "Care In The Community" centre. Or he could have been placed in his own council flat. When Middlewood Hospital closed a lot of the patients were given one bedroomed flats in the former Hyde Park tower block. I know this because I lived at Hyde Park at that time.

If your Great Uncle was classed "A Danger To Society" he would have been transfered to a closed secure hospital such as Rampton Hospital near Retford, in Nottinghamshire..

I do hope this information is / as been of some help to you.

What was his name?

Hi again....his name was John Thomas Heath born 1910 Sheffield

I don't know if he was a danger to society but I gather from the length of time he spent at Middlewood he would have most certainly been institutionalised, I had heard they did lobotomies on some patients

Hello there,

Unless your Great Uncle was classed "A Danger To Society" he would have been transfered to a "Care In The Community" centre. Or he could have been placed in his own council flat. When Middlewood Hospital closed a lot of the patients were given one bedroomed flats in the former Hyde Park tower block. I know this because I lived at Hyde Park at that time.

If your Great Uncle was classed "A Danger To Society" he would have been transfered to a closed secure hospital such as Rampton Hospital near Retford, in Nottinghamshire..

I do hope this information is / as been of some help to you.

would there be any records of this?