The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

Thanks for the information, Plain Talker - I knew that you would have the answer. I only went to Wharncliffe once, to my Mum's office, and that was when I had run away from boarding school and she had no alternative but to take me to work with her. It was a military hospital at that time ( probably 1943 ).

Now and again she used to leave us with a lady who lived on Middlewood Rd., across from the hospital. This lady and her husband used to tell us about the horse drawn ambulances passing their house with the wounded soldiers in the Great War and how they would leave the house rather than listen to the cries and the moans of the patients.What a terrible experience !!

Hi, wondered if anyone could help. Does anyone remember or remember hearing of a patient at middlewood hospital called Charles Clement Naylor? He was my great grandfather and we have absolutely no info about his life whatsoever apart from he was born in 1891 and spent many years in middlewood from 1930 - 1950's, when we believe he passed away. I know its a long shot but we would appreciate any info at all. We can't seem to find record of a death certificate anywhere which matches his age when he died, which would have been when he was in his early 60's. We have already been in touch with sheffield archives and had no joy. The only things we do know about Charles is that he spent time in and out of middlewood towards the end of his life and was pigeon fancier!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The old clocktower is currently being converted into apartments

Has anyone had any spooky happenings in the new houses on the old middlewood hospital sight?

Has anyone had any spooky happenings in the new houses on the old middlewood hospital sight?

There's a web site called I think middlewood village which has reports of strange goings on in the new houses.

Hi anyone remember john and Sylvia Mitchell. If so let me know and I'll let them know. John is nearly blind and Sylvia still works at the new madhouse Forest Lodge.

Oh some might remember me to, the little blonde hair chap called Darren Mitchell who was always on the wards causing bother.

hi i remember john and sylvia well i remember when he had one of his eyes injured at work ask him if it was him that had a poster up on the ward that was objected to? john has a great personality always up to something please pass on my fondest thoughts and memories of days long ago my name was sandra bradwell

hi, just browsed the forum and noticed my mothers name kitty turner, me being her son i can tell you she was a cleaner and not a sister or so she told me lol, and as a youth always remembered her in my early years at middlewood. she still lives on winn gardens and again looking at some of the postings my wife jacqui remembers some of the names that have cropped up as she was a care worker at the time on eastgate and knows quite a few people patients and workers...

PS..MY WIFE HAS A COPY OF THE HISTORY OF MIDDLEWOOD HOSP... 1872-1972 by F.T THORPE

hi there was a sister there called kitty turner she gave me my medical when i started as a student nurse she was irish and lived in hillsborough she was a very devount roman catholic and did a lot of work for the church she was tiny and dark with twinkling eyes and an accent that was pure blarney i remember her well

Hi my name is Lee and most of my family also worked at Middlewood. I am hoping you may remember my Grand father John Wilkin. I recently visited the site to see what is left. I have happy memories from my child hood playing in the grounds and visiting my grand father at work, unfortunately there is very little left and the clock tower has been much neglected. This is where my grand father’s office was located[/QUOTremember your grandfather well was he not a charge nurse ? people say middlewood was a scary place but i was less scared going about the grounds at night then going through the hole in the road to catch my bus

Hello I worked at middlewood hospital in the kitchens on a youth training scheme in 1980 I really enjoyed it also my aunty sheila worked there as a domestic. Did anyone else work in middlewood kitchens???????????

hi sugerbear my mum worked in the kitchens at middlewood she worked nights and afternoons serving tea to the nurses and help stacking the trollys for the patients tea she loved every moment of her time her name was jennie bradwell and she lived in deepcar i worked there as a sister my name was sandra sadly my mum died 18months ago

I remember a Nurse who worked there in the early 70's called Lis Harrop who came from Doncaster, sometimes I do wonder what happened to her

Does anyone know of a patient called the Gentle Giant aka Charlie Scarborough - he was my Uncle but i'm afraid i never knew him any any stories about him or what kind of person he was would be greatfully welcomed.

Edited by jamesh2o
spelling mistake