The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

My husband worked in the supplies dept up until 1973 - he worked for a chap called Jim Church. His name is Bob Winter if anyone remembers him!!! A HUGE Blades supporter so not a happy chap at the moment.

i started in the supplies dept in 1986 and still work for supplies

but now based at 45 wardsend road north

in our conference room is a large print of middlewood hosp

can your dad recall , david wardle , vaughan in printing dept

sylvia in transport, roy piper stores dept

Its actually my husband Bob Winter - he reminds me he left in 1972 to move to Norfolk - he doesn't remember any of the names mentioned. He has recalled some names - Jack Haigh, Alan Young and Richard Bird. He didn't think the supplies dept would still exist - hasn't the hospital closed down?

yes the hospital closed but the dept still exist all around sheffield

at wardsend rd nrth is stores,supplies occ therapy,admin dental

now its called sheffield care trust, still talk to old staff from middlewood

some are based at grenoside grange, lonley centre, forest lodge

and beighton comm hosp can you recall jim mcveigh

Hello I worked at middlewood hospital in the kitchens on a youth training scheme in 1980 I really enjoyed it also my aunty sheila worked there as a domestic. Did anyone else work in middlewood kitchens???????????

i can remember wendy green , janet mason and phil rookes

who worked in the kitchens

Hi my name is Lee and most of my family also worked at Middlewood. I am hoping you may remember my Grand father John Wilkin. I recently visited the site to see what is left. I have happy memories from my child hood playing in the grounds and visiting my grand father at work, unfortunately there is very little left and the clock tower has been much neglected. This is where my grand father’s office was located

I worked there for a while as a Student nurse and as a prenursing student. My grandfather worked in the butchers department (Harold Ford) and my grandmother worked in the kitchens (Pat Ford) - they lived on the grounds at 1 Farm Villa just down from the cricket pitch. Both Pat and Harold are now deceased. My uncle - Glenn Ford was a staff nurse at Middlewood and My cousin was a staff nurse on ward 21 in the mid 80's. I also had a couple of other relatives that worked there. My name is Michael Day and I was also a Staff Nurse at the Royal Hallamshire on the ortho floor.

Hi there,

My G.G. Grandfather went into South Yorkshire Asylum (Middlewood) in 1873 and died there in 1895. Unfortunately there are no records left, I went to Sheffield Archives about two years ago and they say they only have the admissions book left, which you can look at, It told me his name, date of entry, problem, what caused it, name of Doctor and how long he had been like it. In his case it said he had melancholia due to poverty, and spent 22 years there. dreadful......... I have been trying to find his grave for 4 years and have no luck.

While I was tracing the records I found out that like most personal records, they cannot be opening for 100 years, and then you have to prove you are the descendant.

Carol

Hi Carol

Have you tried http://www.sheff-indexers.thewholeshebang.org

I found my gt grandmothers burial records on there. Go to burial records, you only need to enter the name and search. My gt grandmother died in the same asylum and I found she was buried in St Michaels cemetery, Rivelin.

Good luck!

I am a bit confused about the relationship between Middlewood, Wadsley and Wharnecliffe hospitals. My mum was a sister at Wharnecliffe on night duty for the entire wartime period of 1940 to 1945. The hospital she worked in was a military hospital and had been in both World Wars - so is this facility still being used or is it also abandoned.

I am a bit confused about the relationship between Middlewood, Wadsley and Wharnecliffe hospitals. My mum was a sister at Wharnecliffe on night duty for the entire wartime period of 1940 to 1945. The hospital she worked in was a military hospital and had been in both World Wars - so is this facility still being used or is it also abandoned.

Middlewood Hospital (MH), and Wadsley Asylum (WA) were the same place (a bit like the Northern General Hopsital was called the "City General" hospital pre 1964.) just the different names that were given to them over the years.

The MH and WA were mental health, the Wharncliffe Hospital (WH) was just behind MH, and was a medical hospital.

My mother took me, as a tot, to visit my Grandpa, who'd had an operation, i think, in the WH, very shortly after she'd given birth to my younger sister, so I was maybe two-and-a half. it can't have been more than about two-or-three weeks after the birth, as I remember it was a boiling hot sunny day, (My sister was born August 66)

I had all the elderly gentlemen on Grandpa's ward in hysterics, by asking, at the top of my 2-year-old's voice "Ok, so where's your baby, then Grandad?"

(I assumed, because my mummy had gone into hospital, and come out with a baby, a couple of weeks before, that that's what everyone went into hopsital for! :lol: )

as an addition to my comments above,

I have just had a look on picture Sheffield's fantastic site for photographs of WH... and it looks as though part of MH was taken over, during WWI and used for teh hoardes of War-wounded soldiers returning home needing treatment and convalescence, and that this section of MH was named Wharncliffe war hospital. (if you do a search on Picsheff, you'll find 21 pics; four or so of the hospital, and the rest, pics of the staff)

Having said that, a school local-ish to me (The former Pomona Street school, now called Porter Croft School) was requisitioned as a hospital for wounded soldiers in WWI

Now, I remember the building that housed the ward in WH that my grandpa was in, at WH, and it was a newer 1950's / 6o's building that went up the hillside, set in lovely grounds, it wasn't the older, more gothick-y looking architechture of the MH, WH was a quite seperate hospital, adjacent to MH. I do know that the WH-hospital was not there by about the 1980's when I was nursing, and had links to MH.

Wharncliffe Hospital was more of an annexe for the Royal and Infirmary.