The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

Hi Abbie

Try the forum on here http://www.sheffieldrecordsonline.org.uk/ you have to join but its free

There are also loads of records to browse, though after the 1901 census it gets a little harder

You never know if you post on thier forum someone maybe able to help !

Regards

jan2002

how could you get a persons notes who was in the hospital as a patient...?

how could you get a persons notes who was in the hospital as a patient...?

I don't think you can get hold of patients' notes, IIRC, from my nursing days, it's something to do with the official secrets act (which I had to sign when I was nursing). I don't even think it's possible to get them even after they've passed away, unless you get a special court order, if it's part of a legal case.

What about the freedom of information act PT. Are they available after a set period of time?

now, that, I'm not sure about, fox, as I have never had need to invoke the act.

My memories of the act was that, outside a clinical meeting setting, we were not allowed to discuss patients, and any details of conditions they may have been having treatment for.

Our ward sister drummed that into us, Re the OSA, and we were terrified to go against her "edicts". lol

Hi there,

My G.G. Grandfather went into South Yorkshire Asylum (Middlewood) in 1873 and died there in 1895. Unfortunately there are no records left, I went to Sheffield Archives about two years ago and they say they only have the admissions book left, which you can look at, It told me his name, date of entry, problem, what caused it, name of Doctor and how long he had been like it. In his case it said he had melancholia due to poverty, and spent 22 years there. dreadful......... I have been trying to find his grave for 4 years and have no luck.

While I was tracing the records I found out that like most personal records, they cannot be opening for 100 years, and then you have to prove you are the descendant.

Carol

netgear,

sadly if your relative was a long-term resident in the hospital in that era, and, if he was in such poverty as the scant details you have about him hint, he may well have been laid to rest in a paupers' grave. (which may be difficult to locate)

I'm sorry it might not be happier news for you in your seach on that front.

thanks for that info......dont suppose you know where wed apply for the records do you please...........thanks

No sorry.I work for the NHS and if any of my Patients want to see their records they ask their doctor.

I worked at Middlewood hosp near the church in a building

called the firs

I've got some excellent photos taken there during the First World War. There are also some on PictureSheffield.

I would also suggest you track down a copy of an interesting autobiography entitled A Sheffielder's Song, which talks about working at Middlewoood.

John