The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

Will they be a picture of him because I always thought they always take pictures of they  patience’s 

There might be a picture but to be honest I doubt it. As for a "diagnosis" sometimes it would be terminology not in use today or it might be very vague. I've seen records from the 1900s etc where they are shown to have been admitted due to being worried or nervous. I've seen records which give kids diagnosis as stupid or docile even lazy.

Well the things I have heard from my family that he couldn’t talk or move but if they is a picture of him will it be in the archives 

I worked at Middlewood for a brief time and in mental health for 28 years and can't remember photographs being taken of any patients in all that time.

On 14/06/2019 at 17:37, Moirahyde said:

Hi Luke,

1939 Register, West Riding Mental Hospital, Wadsley, Sheffield.

Eric Houlder, patient, born 1924, Incapacitated.

What does it mean to be legally incapacitated?
Person temporarily or permanently impaired by mental and/or physical deficiency, disability, illness, or by the use of drugs to the extent he or she lacks sufficient understanding to make rational decisions or engage in responsible actions.

sometimes in the past diagnosis could be very vague. One diagnosis fits all so to speak. Thankfully things have changed

I also worked at Middlewood back in the late 1960's. I worked on reception & dealt with patient files. I can't say I remember them ever having a photo attached to or in the file.

Nearest you got was if they were thought of as a risk for absconding you'd write a description of what they were wearing that day in their notes. Thing was that after a while the Police got to know the regulars and would know who you were on about as soon as you rang them.

On 21/03/2016 at 06:18, Aussie man said:

we used to live opposite the hospital in Stockarth lane my mum and sister both worked at the hospital my sister as a receptionist and telephonist and My mother as a nurse. My mother first worked for the Dentist there who's name was Mr Franklin. She later became an enrolled nurse and worked there for many years her name was Joan Dyson. I went to live in Australia and the rest of the family moved over here later on. My Mother only died 3 years ago two weeks short of her 90th birthday. I played football with a very successful team there until I went to Australia.She always spoke very fondly of the hospital and the people she worked with

My mum  Rose Grattan/Parkerwas nurse on 15sand worked with a Joan Dyson sadly passed away now.

I am wondering if there is anything in the records re an uncle who was there certainly into the late 1940's. He was allowed out on occasions and would get the bus into Sheffield Pond Street, then the number 21 to Swallownest. I remember that he would arrive probably early afternoon, stay for tea and then leave

I was born July 1940 and can remember him up to late 1940's when he made occasional visits to my grandparents house - at my young age he just appeared to me to be strange.

He was my grandfathers brother - that s all I know other than his name was Leonard  Marshall, may have been born in the Hackenthorpe area. There were 3 brothers Benjamin, Elias (my grandfather) and Leonard plus a sister

I seem to have heard in later years that Leonard had  son by the name of Rudoplph (Rudy possibly)

Be nice to find out anything more about him including when he left Middlewood or when he died there and where he is buried

Best Regards - Victor - Selangor, Malaysia

13 hours ago, victormh said:

I am wondering if there is anything in the records re an uncle who was there certainly into the late 1940's. He was allowed out on occasions and would get the bus into Sheffield Pond Street, then the number 21 to Swallownest. I remember that he would arrive probably early afternoon, stay for tea and then leave

I was born July 1940 and can remember him up to late 1940's when he made occasional visits to my grandparents house - at my young age he just appeared to me to be strange.

He was my grandfathers brother - that s all I know other than his name was Leonard  Marshall, may have been born in the Hackenthorpe area. There were 3 brothers Benjamin, Elias (my grandfather) and Leonard plus a sister

I seem to have heard in later years that Leonard had  son by the name of Rudoplph (Rudy possibly)

Be nice to find out anything more about him including when he left Middlewood or when he died there and where he is buried

Best Regards - Victor - Selangor, Malaysia

Good luck and hope you find something. But I think your problem is that you are talking about someone  who was there around 70 years or so ago. Many of the people who worked there at the time are most certainly dead now or well into their 80's. Other problem could be that any records / noted will have certainly been destroyed now and record keeping was not as thorough in those days. As I say I wish you luck.

My dad and my mother in law both worked at Middlewood. Arthur Pemberton and Gwen Bramall.

I am trying to find a book called The Middlewood Hospital Sheffield One hundred years 1872 to 1972 by F. T. Thorpe.  Its obviously out of print because it's not to be found on any of the book search website.  Amazon used to have it for sale, but no longer.  

Is there anyone out there who has a copy of this book that they would be prepared to sell, or even lend for a while.  It's for someone who used to work there and is interested in learning more of the history of the place.  

Many thanks in advance if anyone does have a copy of this and takes the time to respond.