The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

does anyone know where patients from middlewood were buried. my gg grandfather died there in 1914

---------- Post added 28-12-2014 at 20:16 ----------

also i played football for middlewood hosp in the late 70's. anyone else from that time?

does anyone know where patients from middlewood were buried. my gg grandfather died there in 1914...
It naturally depended on the patients' relatives but a great many who had no family (or none willing to arrange a funeral) were buried in unmarked graves in Wadsley churchyard. See the last paragraph in this Wikipedia article. The relevant area of the churchyard is arrowed on this aerial view. Edited by hillsbro

I am wanting to find out some information regarding a relative who seems to have been in Middlewood Hospital from approx 1932 until her death in 1994. Do any of you know how I can get access to her records? I have sent an email to Sheffield Archives and they have sent me an email saying that someone will answer my question within the next 28 days. That's a long time to wait if you then have to go through another long process of submitting your request and then I though of SF.

Grannypat

Dear GrannyPat

Look around this web site and try to find a guy by the name of John Grantham he is quite knowledgeable re Middlewood Hopspital

He lives in Wadsley Village which is essentially next to Middlewood in fact many years ago "being sent to Wadsley" meant Middlewood Mental Hospital

You have a very difficult task, (tried to do it myself for the early to mid 1940's but nigh on impossible)

Hope this helps you but it is a "Very Long Shot"

Best Regards and Bon Chance - Victor - Malaysia

I am wanting to find out some information regarding a relative who seems to have been in Middlewood Hospital from approx 1932 until her death in 1994. Do any of you know how I can get access to her records? I have sent an email to Sheffield Archives and they have sent me an email saying that someone will answer my question within the next 28 days. That's a long time to wait if you then have to go through another long process of submitting your request and then I though of SF.

Grannypat

there is a possibility that middlewood may be listed on some census sites. I know that some time ago U was looking for a relative and found her on the census returns for the kelham workhouse. I cannot remember which site took me there but maybe a bit of " google" would help.

Dear GrannyPat

Look around this web site and try to find a guy by the name of John Grantham he is quite knowledgeable re Middlewood Hopspital

He lives in Wadsley Village which is essentially next to Middlewood in fact many years ago "being sent to Wadsley" meant Middlewood Mental Hospital

You have a very difficult task, (tried to do it myself for the early to mid 1940's but nigh on impossible)

Hope this helps you but it is a "Very Long Shot"

Best Regards and Bon Chance - Victor - Malaysia

Wadsley Villag is built pretty much on what was Middlewood Hospital

Hi Victormh,

I have tried to find John Grantham in various ways but can't. To contact him via this site I need to know his user name. He's not on FB as far as I can tell and I even tried Friends Reunited but nothing. Check the Sheffield phone book but if he's there he must be ex-directory. Is there anyone out there who knows him?????

Grannypat

You have to get permission for archive staff to search the various records.

The reply from Sheffield Archives should give you all the necessary information.

The census for the period my relative was in Middlewood won't be released for at least another 20 years, so that idea won't work in this instance but thanks for trying.

I have now heard back from Sheffield Archives and I have to fill in forms and jump through quite a lot of hoops to request this info and there is no guarantee that they will be released even then. Looks like I shall have to bite the bullet and just do it. Thanks anyway for all your help.

Grannypat

The census for the period my relative was in Middlewood won't be released for at least another 20 years, so that idea won't work in this instance but thanks for trying.

I have now heard back from Sheffield Archives and I have to fill in forms and jump through quite a lot of hoops to request this info and there is no guarantee that they will be released even then. Looks like I shall have to bite the bullet and just do it. Thanks anyway for all your help.

Grannypat

Hi, my wife worked at Middlewood from 1974 - 2004. If you'd like to let us have your relative's name, she may have known her.

My cousin was called David Riley, wonder if your wife knew him?