The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

Hi---I trained as a Psychriatric nurse at Middlewood hospital,and was there from 1958--1975.When I left to come to Canada,I was a chargenurse. I have a copy of the 1973 centennial handbook of the history of Middlewood hospital,photos etc.It was sad to learn that the hospital was no longer there.My parents also worked there from 1927 until they retired,as chargenurse and sister respectively.My name is Mike Turner,in case anybody remembers me,and I now live in Edmonton,Alberta,Canada.I recently retired here as a senior nursing officer.It amazes me to learn that Kingswood block has been converted into luxury apartments,and called Kingswood Hall.I was night chargenurse of that block in 1973 and 1974.Its a wonder the building isnt haunted with all the people who lived there since 1873.
Are you the Mike Turner who lived up Scraith Wood ,if so I knew your Dad who also worked at Middlewood and your brother Ian who worked at Waldot on Middlewood Rd.

Does anyone remember Dr Gemmell and Mrs Wing they lived at Bolsterstone,Dr White I think he fell on a knife and was fatally injured,charge nurse Ron Martin from Oughtibridge,George and betty Hodgeson,her nickname was lightbulb betty because George used to go round changing all the bulbs.

Does anyone recall an old woman who used to stand in front of peoples windows on Stockarth Lane? She claimed to be 'Charles Bronson's daughter'.

Also, on Stockarth Lane there was a man with a bin lid and a piece of wood that asked to use my gran's toilet- he smeared poo all over the wall and said the bin lid was a shield and his name was god! haha

hi mike i remember you well to well i had a crush on you when i was a student nurse there and remember that we where on the same ward i student you staff nurse we used to make the beds in a morning do you remember jack sharret who had been in the navy we all used to go to the same partys great to hear that you have a great life in canada and that you remember the old place i know that people who had never been there would never under stand what a great place it was both staff and patients where so speciel they only come once in a lifetime oh but those cold winter 6am starts it was so difficult to get out of bed and i lived in the nurses residence

Does anyone remember Dougie March, the long-term patient who used to repair radios, TVs etc? He was an old friend of my father's. I also knew some of the night staff - Mick Stringfield, Harold Minogue etc., and Mick Fiennes who became night superintendent at the Northern General.

hi mike i remember you well to well i had a crush on you when i was a student nurse there and remember that we where on the same ward i student you staff nurse we used to make the beds in a morning do you remember jack sharret who had been in the navy we all used to go to the same partys great to hear that you have a great life in canada and that you remember the old place i know that people who had never been there would never under stand what a great place it was both staff and patients where so speciel they only come once in a lifetime oh but those cold winter 6am starts it was so difficult to get out of bed and i lived in the nurses residence

It was a special place because it wasn't really a hospital it was more of a walled village

Thought I should answer seen as the old man has been mentioned in 2 posts talking about old staff at Middlewood :-) Jack Sherratt is my Dad he's married to Christine Sherratt was Nicholson and Bob Swan is my Godfather :-) Dad's currently semi retired and Mum still works in Psychiatry in Rotherham you can see them on Louis Arroyos excellent site about Middlewood http://www.rotherham-images.co.uk/sheffield-gallery-six-(XlII).htm where Jack is tagged as Jack Sharrock :-)

Thank god someone had a crush on me - so nice to hear that 29 years or so later - lol

I have very fond memories of the nurses residence and you are right it was bloody freezing on some of those mornings. I am actually in the United States - San Francisco to be exact, but my memories from Middlewood are amongst some of the best of my working life.

Does anyone remember Dougie March, the long-term patient who used to repair radios, TVs etc? He was an old friend of my father's. I also knew some of the night staff - Mick Stringfield, Harold Minogue etc., and Mick Fiennes who became night superintendent at the Northern General.

Mick Fienes was the manager of Ward 2 at the Northern General Hospital when I was a student Nurse there - he was a very nice bloke and well respected.

Thank god someone had a crush on me - so nice to hear that 29 years or so later - lol

I have very fond memories of the nurses residence and you are right it was bloody freezing on some of those mornings. I am actually in the United States - San Francisco to be exact, but my memories from Middlewood are amongst some of the best of my working life.

OOps just realized you were talking about Mike Turner but quoted me - I am devastated!

I was a student nurse in the mid to late 70's and worked down in the heavy industry unit for a couple of years, does anyone remember a staff nurse who was convicted of murdering his wife/fiancee ?

Does anyone remember Joan Cheshire? She is my gran and worked at middlewood for years and years probably in the early 60s to late 70s/ 80s.