The old Middlewood Hospital history/records etc

Hi, I didn't work at Middlewood, but as a child we had a family friend called Eveline Powell, who also went by the name of loulou(?); and I know she had had mental health problems. She died about 10 years ago and I think it was Chesterfield she lived then. I'll check with my Mum later today.

Hi its your cousin again! our Aunty Pauline and Uncle Frank (Finlay) both worked at middlewood hospital as nurses for many years. I work in Mental Health and so does your cousin Susan (their daughter)

Hi its your cousin again! our Aunty Pauline and Uncle Frank (Finlay) both worked at middlewood hospital as nurses for many years. I work in Mental Health and so does your cousin Susan (their daughter)

We're certainly keeping it in the family!

Has anyone any knowledge of the treatment of WW2 soldiers and ex soldiers suffering from shell shock ?

I understand one form of treatment at Middlewood/Wharncliffe Hospital was to put the patient to sleep for a month to rest their nervous system.

Was there a seperate register for these patients ?

Has anyone any knowledge of the treatment of WW2 soldiers and ex soldiers suffering from shell shock ?

I understand one form of treatment at Middlewood/Wharncliffe Hospital was to put the patient to sleep for a month to rest their nervous system.

Was there a seperate register for these patients ?

I think what you are talking about is called modified narcosis. Doubt if it was for a month though longest I've seen it done for is a week.

I think what you are talking about is called modified narcosis. Doubt if it was for a month though longest I've seen it done for is a week.

That sounds fabulous...I'd volunteer for that.....might even lose some weight :)

I was informed by an ex soldier that he was put to sleep for a month in the 1940s and then went home.

How were patients fed and toileted ?

Do you know if these patients undertook leather work(making handbags) during their stay.

I think these patients were voluntary patients that I refer to.

Unfortunately after commissioning a search of hospital records he is not recorded but unfortunately several pages of the records are spoilt.

A public photographic exhibition showing a series of images depicting Middlewood Hospital

21st November 23rd December 2011

Hillsborough Library, Middlewood Road, Sheffield 6

Opening Hours (Free entry)

Monday - 9.30am-7.30pm

Tuesday - 9.30am-5.30pm

Wednesday - 9.30am-5.30pm

Thursday - Closed

Friday - 9.30am-5.30pm

Saturday - 9.30am-4pm

Sunday - Closed

Photo Exhibition

A public display showing a collection of photographs depicting Middlewood Hospital

21st November 23rd December 2011

Hillsborough Library, Middlewood Road, Sheffield 6

Opening Hours (Free entry)

Monday - 9.30am-7.30pm

Tuesday - 9.30am-5.30pm

Wednesday - 9.30am-5.30pm

Thursday - Closed

Friday - 9.30am-5.30pm

Saturday - 9.30am-4pm

Sunday - Closed

Does anyone remember Chris 'Scratch' Bachelor??

He was in there in the 70s... one of my dad's old friends. He used to escape on a regular basis apparently. In the late 70s he went on a walk to Wharncliffe Side, went in to the chippy where my dad and his mate were and said 'don't laugh, don't cry, mi mum's int reservoir drowndin'...

He was later found in the river don :(

He always used to wear a mucky bomber jacket and a red hat.

Any info/ memories would be much appreciated.

hollywood_cocktail@hotmail.co.uk

hi i was the sister on ward eight where Chris spent most of his time and i had to identify his body when he died he worked on the transport on the lorry delivering laundry around the wards he went out as and when he wanted life became difficult for Chris and he began to lose confidence in himself i had a great relationship with him and was fond of him and found his death very upsetting

hi i was the sister on ward eight where Chris spent most of his time and i had to identify his body when he died he worked on the transport on the lorry delivering laundry around the wards he went out as and when he wanted life became difficult for Chris and he began to lose confidence in himself i had a great relationship with him and was fond of him and found his death very upsetting

oh my god.. im so sorry :( that must have been very painful for you. My dad said he was a really nice person and one of his good friends, he was shocked when it happened, shocked when he found out chris had ended up in there in the first place i think. how long did he live at middlewood for? what was he like? :)

Do you remember a guy called David Riley, he was in Middlewood for a long time. He was my cousin and died in 1982.